Veneering My Guitar

Ok so i just got my 23x10 flamed maple veneer from the wood well(awesome site, great price for big veneers for flying v or similar big guitars) Now im preparing to apply the veneer and have a few q's:

1)the body for my guitar is completely unfinished at the moment. I was planning on applying the veneer and then lacquering the back and sides(which will be a thin opaque blue), then staining my design on the top(american flag :D ) and then clearcoating the entire thing. does this sound good or would anyone here change the order?

2)im planning on staining the veneer black and sanding back a bit to bring the grain out, should i do this before or after lacquering the back? i was thinking before, as it will simply allow more time for the wood to dry completely before it gets finished. plus less risk of sanding up the sides and making a mess accidentally.

man this wood grain is killer looking, and i only paid 12 bucks for it B) . i cant wait to get thsi guitar together!

Hi man,

I may very well be wrong, but there may be a bleed problem with the veneer. I dont think you can sucessfully get a straight distinction between the lines of the flag- I think the colors may bleed together and make a mess.

I also dont know if you can stain the veneer black to bring out the grain. Depending on the thickness of the veneer, the stain will probably saturate the veneer to the point that you will sand away the veneer before you even come close to getting rid of the black.

I hope I am wrong though!

Sorry for the bad news...

Luke

Hi man,

I may very well be wrong, but there may be a bleed problem with the veneer. I dont think you can sucessfully get a straight distinction between the lines of the flag- I think the colors may bleed together and make a mess.

I also dont know if you can stain the veneer black to bring out the grain. Depending on the thickness of the veneer, the stain will probably saturate the veneer to the point that you will sand away the veneer before you even come close to getting rid of the black.

I hope I am wrong though!

Sorry for the bad news...

Luke

im sorry to say luke is right. u cannot with any atempt have a clear defined line between 2 stains, what you could try if u still want the grain (who wouldnt?) masking, and then using a transparent or tinted laquer of some sort. thats all i can think of for now

luke :DB)

Luke is right there is a way to stain without getting bleeds but on a thin veneer Ithink it may not work good. what you can do that will give you the same effect is to use translucent colors like this ones, just browse down to the transparent ones. This are the ones that I'm using now and they work great provided that you paint them indoors or in a warm place, on outside windy or cold areas they will dry on the tip or the airbrush or spit. And they are compatible with almost all clears available, I have used nitro and duplicolor on them and they work fine.

Also check Stew Mac for their concentrate liquids and just apply to your clear laquer provided that you are spraying it, if not use the createx

couldn't he

1. stain the whole thing white

2. seal where the white stripes would go and the rectangle where the stars are

3. stain red

4. mask everything except where the blue would go

5. apply paint stripper to what isnt masked

6. take off tape and stain blue

7. seal the whole body

8. level sand

9. clears, sanding, buffing etc.

I don't know if this would work but someone could verify/prove me wrong. Either way it would be a hell of a lot of work.

couldn't he

1.  stain the whole thing white

2.  seal where the white stripes would go and the rectangle where the stars are

3.  stain red

4.  mask everything except where the blue would go

5.  apply paint stripper to what isnt masked

6.  take off tape and stain blue

7.  seal the whole body

8.  level sand

9.  clears, sanding, buffing etc.

I don't know if this would work but someone could verify/prove me wrong.  Either way it would be a hell of a lot of work.

i was planning on trying something like that since i want to use waterbase stains. would it be plausible? and what would be the best product to seal the wood with?

to make that all the simper, my cut of maple is extremely white and the figure is deep on it, so im not planning on dying the white stripes but leaving them natural, and i guess i could go without deepening the grain since its a relaly thin veneer. any suggestions?

has anyone tried sealing a tiny strip and staing 2 colors on either side and using the sealer as a barrier. If that would work, you could do this

1. seal all white parts (stars stripes) and a tiny strip on the outline of the blue rectangle

2. stain everything outside of the blue rectangle red

3. stain the inside of the blue rectangle blue.

you also might be able to instead of glueing then staining you could always stain then glue, but cut the rectangle out first and glue it seperately.

DISCLAIMER: The only thing I know about these ideas I have is they look good on paper. I've never tried a single one of them so wait for a person with more experience to say something about it.

Edited by silvertonessuckbutigotone

Why don't you try it on a scrap piece first and see how it turns out.

Trial and error is the best way to find out what works and what doesn't.

But don't do it to the actual veneer until you know that it'll work.