Would A Guitar Look Good Spray Painted

Hughes

My dad is a really really good with spraypaint and I was wondering if a guitar would looks good in glossblack spraypaint :D

most modern gloss black guitars use two-stage auto paint, color then clear on top.

spraypaint will be pretty good, but the key is to wet sand it afterwars with a sanding block to get that super-glossy shine. try 1000 and 2000 grit sandpaper and see how it goes! you still may want to consider a top clear coat.

You MUST clear coat it moastly for protection.

Yeah, i was going to say that also. Theres a group of kids that live near me who "paint" peoples guitars, and have clear coats listed as optional on there website. The only way to protect the paintjob, is with a clear coat. If you dont its just going to turn to crap and you cant polish it either.

Something that hasen't been mentioned yet is the type of spraypaint being used or what's should be used. Most people on here use automotive spraypaint (lacquer).... You can get Duplicolor car/truck/SUV paint at Autozone and even Walmart. Pepboys sells Plast-kote car paints. Try sticking with those or higher dollar stuff specifically for guitars from StewMac.....

I wouldn't use regular ol' enamel or whatever the regular spray paints are (ie: krylon). I've tried them painting other stuff (not guitars) and the paint just doesn't get hard enough for me......

Edited by Gigabyte

i allmoast allways use nitro.

It dryes quick so you dont have to wait long.

Usualy i spray every 30mins between layers, then dry it overnight and then aplying clear coat. again every 30 mins until im satisfied with resoults. When it's all dry i use 2000 grain sanding paper to polish it. ( but i do that after few days drying)

then i take lether cloth and fine polish it.

pls excuse my english its not my first language. lol.

Wheres that BAD ADVICE picture?? Clear is only required for COB paints, and metallics. You dont need clear over a solid colour for acrylic, two pack, etc.

Really? B)

I was under the impression you should always clear every paint :D

Nope. Im yet to find a car manufacturer that uses clear over anything, except metallics/mica. And i dare say that car paint, exposed to rain, heat, uv light, snow, dust, sand, wind, bug crap, people leaning on it, etc etc etc, generally holds up exceptionally over time...

Wheres that BAD ADVICE picture?? Clear is only required for COB paints, and metallics. You dont need clear over a solid colour for acrylic, two pack, etc.

Really? :D

I was under the impression you should always clear every paint :D

Nope. Im yet to find a car manufacturer that uses clear over anything, except metallics/mica. And i dare say that car paint, exposed to rain, heat, uv light, snow, dust, sand, wind, bug crap, people leaning on it, etc etc etc, generally holds up exceptionally over time...

Ah i see. Thats true, thanks man. You learn something new everyday B)

Chris

Hey Perry, some car manufacturers use 2 stage paint on solid colors, my friends Miata had a Racing Beat body kit installed and when we went to get the paint the guys at the shop told us that it was base coat clear coat paint and it was solid red. I think if it's not like this when you polish the car the buffer will get stained with the car color, doesn't it?

Well thats my opinion, I will be using 2 stages from now on, I think it's better that way.

Well, i dont know. My friends MX5 (aussie miata) does not have clear, and its a solid red. I know this because i helped him fix a fender on it once :D

I know its cheaper for me to do COB (Clear Over Base) finishes (with clear two pack), than it is to do solid (no clear) Two Pack finishes.

The clear costs less, and they can get away with only one, maybe two coats of colour, under the clear. There is a local panel shop that does this.

• 6 months later...

hey, how much would it cost to buy enough spray paint for the glossblack with clear on top.. preferbly in AU$.

thanks.

Charlie G