Replacing A Nut

okey doke. ive got an epi acoustic that id like to fix up for my girlfreind to use, since ive got a new one coming. the nut is broken, the 6E slot's edge facing out chipped off and the 6th string wont hold now. how would i go about fixing this? and where could i get the parts i need?

acousticnut.jpg

Edited by 1nf1d3l

You're going to need a new nut. You can do this yourself if you want--just measure the nut carefully, or better yet, take it off the guitar and bring it to a shop. Then glue the new nut in. Elmer's will work fine for that.

You can also have the shop change it for you and do a setup, put new strings on etc.

Your girlfriend's worth that, right?

thanks man. so its that easy? cool..

and yea.. shes worth that and so much more.. im giving her my first guitar.. lol.. ill have to do something with the pickguard too.. shes a lefty player... writes right handed.. but plays left... heh.. thats odd

If you have to ask these questions, your nut ready to make a new nut. Sorry dude, but the nut is an extremely important part of the guitar, and requires attention and forethought. Take it to a tech, it IS cheaper than making your own in the long run. Nut files are more than double the cost of getting someone else to make a nut for you.

To take the nut off, take an exacto knife and score the finish right next to the nut as not to crack the finish. Then put the neck on its side against the ground or on a table (preferably carpet so there wont be any dents in the neck) and lightly tap the nut until it pops off. Be extremely gentle so nothing gets damaged. I've done it many times before, its not hard. I don't know about replacing the nut, you might try ebay for epiphone acoustic nuts, or something similar but make sure the spacing is the same and the nut width.

thanks man. so its that easy? cool..

Yeah it's pretty easy. If it doesn't just tap out, you'll have to wiggle it a bit to loosen it up, then it should slide right out.

Replacing it is a bit more complicated, but you can buy a new nut HERE

Chances are they'll have a nut that matches yours. I like Graph Tech, I've always found them to have excellent customer service --even when you don't buy directly from them (StewMac and ebay are usually a little cheaper). I usually buy their trem nuts.

As for the pros/cons of preslotted...well, I've bought several preslotted nuts and haven't had any major problems --they're not a replacement for custom fitted, but they're a good middle ground.

But if you think the guitar needs a setup too, sure, it doesn't cost much to have a new nut cut. You can give your girl some bone...I'm talking about the nut of course!

I've used Graph Tech with pretty good success.

On the removal portion, I had a stubburn nut once I had to jeweler saw straight down the center to get the adhesive used to let go, if you resort to something like this take care NOT to saw into the wood. :D

Edited by Gorecki

I've used Graph Tech with pretty good success.

On the removal portion, I had a stubburn nut once I had to jeweler saw straight down the center to get the adhesive used to let go, if you resort to something like this take care NOT to saw into the wood.  :D

Yeah I had to do that with the last one I changed, then had to yank it out with a pliers anyway! They must have used superglue on there, it didn't want to leave...the finish came out okay though

you still might want to take the guitar to your local tech...you said your girl played lefty and i could be wrong...i was once..ok twice... but i don't know of anyone that sells left handed nuts...all of the pre-made nuts that i've ever purchased were for right handed guitars. any time i had to replace a nut on a left handed guitar i made it myself.

if any of you know of a source for left handed nuts i'd really like to hear about it.

You can use a preslotted nut, but the slots would be much too high. The people who make them can't know what your preferences are or the condition (or size perhaps) of your frets so they err on the side of caution. To adjust them you'd need a set of nut files ($85US or more) and setting the proper height is tricky. Removing a nut is easy but it's the only really easy part of it.

Take the thing to someone in a shop who actually knows what they're doing. It isn't THAT expensive.