First Project

Ok, please dont take this the wrong way, on the pic the red line is the way i would have cut it, it flows more to my eye, and done a PRS style under the pickup setneck. The green line is were i would carve away fo access to upper frets. Your guitar looks killer but thoes mods to the design would make it perfect IMO.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/mar...guitar4_mod.jpg

Good work.

Ok, please dont take this the wrong way, on the pic the red line is the way i would have cut it, it flows more to my eye, and done a PRS style under the pickup setneck. The green line is were i would carve away fo access to upper frets. Your guitar looks killer but thoes mods to the design would make it perfect IMO.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/mar...guitar4_mod.jpg

Good work.

You mean sorta like this?

Guitar4.jpg

This was a quick Photoshop edit.. don't blast me guys.. lol

Yeah, I'm kind of in agreement with you, the chamfer you drew PRS style is exactly what I had in mind Marzochhi as well as a similar one on the top horn as well with a rib and forearm contour to boot. I probably will alter the cutaways too - as it's first time out I guess I just asumed the neck would need more support than it does - you live and learn.

I probably won't go for the full straight like in that excelllent photoshop image - thanks Guitarfrenzy - I kind of like the strat type slight curve at the neck join.

These kinds of helpful suggestions are why I like this forum so much, thanks guys.

Edited by essexdave

Have you used standard Ash at all - it seemed to me that the swamp ash was much more prone to tear out than the standard ash.  Maybe it's just this piece, the grain seemed much more vulnerable.  Looks much nicer though.

I'm 2 for 2 on tearout in swamp ash projects.. I think the layers of grain just want to peel up and separate. It's a neat wood but man it's fussy to work with.

Yes, I've used hard ash before I figured out that I had the wrong wood.. lol So, I basically threw that body away and started over, because unless you chamber it out, your gonna end up with a guitar that's much to heavy in my opinion. They basically look the same except true Swamp Ash is one of the lightest tone woods, with a more mid range, tone wise.. The hard ash has a brighter sound which is good for tele type guitars though. But like Fender you could reduce the weight by adding tone chambers, ala Fender Thinline. As far as tearout, yes Swamp Ash is a less dense wood, and you have to be more careful with what you are doing. But, after working with the hard Ash, you will think your routing and cutting butter compared to the hard Ash. It's alot more easy going on your tools, but does get dings a little easier, but it's a great trade off though for a much lighter and better playing guitar.

bass03.jpg

I like the original.

OT-- Guitarfrenzy, that's the coolest looking flame I've ever seen in my life. Subtle yet not so much that you have to strain to see what's going on. Wunderbar!

Greg

• 1 month later...

Well it's moving on, the bodies have been rounded over and contoured, I used a small drum sander attached to a power drill to do the rough shaping and then finished by hand and it was surprisingly quick I thought. All the mounting and wiring holes are drilled - while test fitting the black bridge one of the screws sheared off in the hole! I think they must be the cheapest screws I have ever seen!

I used a small ~3mm dremel burr mounted in a pillar drill to drill it out and the job was so neat all I needed to do was to go up 1 screw size and bobs your uncle. Lesson learnt, always change out any cheap-looking screws before you start or at least use a (known) high quality screw to cut the thread.

So now I have a load of finish sanding to look forward to. Now I've bevelled the cutaways the top fret acess is actually quite good and will serve me well on the 1 time a year I need a really high note! I wish I could say I can play like Vai but it's just not true!

No pictures though - I had to take them apart before I gave in and started thinking "they look great as they are - who needs a finish!"