First Project

I've finally taken the plunge and started my first guitar - armed with lots of info from these forums!

The body is Ash and I'm using an all maple neck from Allparts - didn't fancy doing a neck first time around, maybe next time. It's going to have an ABM fixed bridge with Lace chrome dome pickups, humbucker at the bridge and single coil at the neck. It's all going to be back routed so no nasty scratchplates.

So far I've spent a huge amount of time making all the necessary templates and making sure they're perfect. Last weekend I finally got the body cut out and thought I'd post some pics. Can't wait til next weekend to do some more!

Any comments and/or helpful suggestions gratefully received.

Guitar1.JPG

Guitar2.JPG

Edited by essexdave

I love the design! but I hate the wood :D I think it needs a real wild top or some kind of killer paint job, your lines look realy clean but It looks like your planing to do some beveling on the lower horn there I realy dont think that works with this design very well but thats just me I could be way off and it might look deadly! just something to think about B)

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

that's a nice shape to go with. BTW, do you have any diagram on wiring the pickups? i'm currently making the same configuration, i.e. single coil at neck and a humbucker at bridge. together with it is a 5 way switch, 1 vol + 1 tone. thanks for any help!

Yeah that drawing isn't right, it's going to be bevelled inside both horns or it just won't be too playable I wanted the body nice and thick as I like a weighty guitar. Also some bevelling planned at the waist on both sides and a rib contour and arm rest contour. Looks good on my actual plan but I have no scanner so no pics!

If you look at where the neck pocket is you cansee it's also going to be very short - this is to try and give my knackered left shoulder a break by having a shorter reach - I just hope it balances ok. I'm using schaller locking tuners - they havent arrived yet but I'm hoping they're reasonably heavy to help the balance, any ideas?

As for the wood, I was kind of planing to use this as a practice all of all the necessary techniques - routing etc and keep it simple.

I have plans for a second one with a nice top and P90s if this all goes ok. I'm planning on a blue stain and oiled finish - I hate lacquer!

krizalid - what were you planning to do with the 5 way switch? I'm just using 2 volumes a 3 way toggle and coil tapping on a push-pull pot. The 5 way switch seems a bit unnecessary with only 2 pickups. Just my opinion, but then again I always disconnect the tone controls on my guitars so maybe I'm not the best person to ask! :D

Edited by essexdave

well, i'm planning to follow a charvel guitar i've seen here. but maybe i'm making it all difficult as the guitar i've seen, has only the vol and 5/3 way switches. i'm not sure. i'll give a picture of it later. anyway, can't wait to see your guitar finished man. i'm nearing of completion of my guitar also. need some more sanding before painting it.

• 2 months later...

Well, one guitar has become two.......

While routing the neck cavity on the original body the guide bearing on the router came loose and the pocket came out a bit ragged on one edge, not too bad but I decided to start again on a swamp ash blank. Then a little voice said "why not carry on anyway, you can always use some filler under a more solid finish". So some hunting on ebay and pawn shops later I have a second beastie with an Invader and Quarter Pound pickups for those metal moments.

The finish is going to be 'ebonized' - a black stain rubbed over with a special wax then oiled which gives an excellent ebony type finish.

So here's the new swamp ash guitar as is...

Guitar4.jpg

And here's the original body with a salvaged Ibanez style neck...

Guitar5.jpg

Next step is to round over and contour the bodies. I'm also making plans for a third with a thinline body, maple cap and P90's...If only I had more time!

Yup, excellent original design. The Swamp Ash DOES look better, but having 2 guitars instead of one is a fabulous idea. I should make 2 guitars at once next time. :D

Greg

I guess the key word is "compromise". It's a compromise for aesthetic appeal, perhaps? Or structural integrity?

Myself, I can count the number of times I've gone past the 17th fret in this past year: once.

Greg

Neck does seem a bit deep into the body. I would probably move it out if you make another one. That said, I REALLY like that body. My impression when I first looked at it was- its different, but not over the top and seems balanced yet simple(a nice blend of modern and retro style). Great work (very very very cool).

Peace, Rich

Thanks for the comments.

Yes the neck is set a long way into the body but thats part of the whole design idea, I have a shoulder problem and I'm trying to decrease the overall length of the guitar in order to shorten the stretch to the first few frets. I'm going to chamfer the cutaways and slim the heel in order to increase access but it's never going to be a shredders favourite!

Edited by essexdave

Thanks for the comments.

Yes the neck is set a long way into the body but thats part of the whole design idea, I have a shoulder problem and I'm trying to decrease the overall length of the guitar in order to shorten the stretch to the first few frets. I'm going to chamfer the cutaways and slim the heel in order to increase access but it's never going to be a shredders favourite!

Seems to me that all you need to do is adjust the inside of the curve just a bit, you'll have upper fret access with out compromising the design of the guitar at all...

That said, I'm not much of an upper fret player anyway.... :D