Set Neck Removal

It ain't gonna happen with out taking the fretboard off. You need the board off to get access to the sides of the tennon so that you can seperate the glueline there, then run in water and heat to separate the bottom surface of the tenon from the pocket.

Compared to freeing the neck popping the board off is a walk in the park!

• 2 weeks later...
Is there any easier way?

No. Not unless you're doing it on an acoustic.

I've done one of each (acoustic and LP). And the answer is...

No.

Looking at a similar rapair.. on an epi-le-paul...

how do I get the fretboard off on the body end where it lays over the body a bit...

( LOTS of steam is that the clue?)

I guess I need son advice on this one

• 4 years later...

When people do neck resets on acoustics, they pull a fret at the neck joint, and after measurung carefully, drill a smell hole into the neck joint through the fret slot. Then, using a special setup with a hose and needle, they put steam through the hole into the neck joint to loosen the glue. Look on the OLF for a tutorial, I think there's some there. And check Stew Mac for the equipment. I've seen people rig up a pressure cooker for the steam, or an espresso maker, but I caution you. Steam can build up VERY high pressures, and you must have a relief of some sort, so you don't blow yourself up. Don't see why that wouldn't work for an electric too.

Different joint, more surface area, and usually no void at the end of the tenon to allow steam to reach all faces of the joint. Also, unlike a dovetail, a straight mortice and tenon won't become loose as you pull it up, because it isn't tapered, and it will have a large, inaccessible area at the base of the joint which is glued, unlike a dovetail or mortice and tenon on an acoustic.

In short, you need the fretboard off to have a decent chance of removing the neck cleanly and without damage.

The easiest way is to stand with the guitar in playing position with your speaker cabinet behind you and to your left, play like you're really getting into it, then go in for a solo up on the high frets and turn sharply to your left and bend your knees a little. The neck should come clean off if you did it right.

Different joint, more surface area, and usually no void at the end of the tenon to allow steam to reach all faces of the joint. Also, unlike a dovetail, a straight mortice and tenon won't become loose as you pull it up, because it isn't tapered, and it will have a large, inaccessible area at the base of the joint which is glued, unlike a dovetail or mortice and tenon on an acoustic.

In short, you need the fretboard off to have a decent chance of removing the neck cleanly and without damage.

Great poitsn Setch. Forgot about the large flat surface of the tenon on the bottom...

The easiest way is to stand with the guitar in playing position with your speaker cabinet behind you and to your left, play like you're really getting into it, then go in for a solo up on the high frets and turn sharply to your left and bend your knees a little. The neck should come clean off if you did it right.

:D

well if the neck is broken, why not remove the fretboard, and route the neck pocket??? YOu have to build a new neck anyways.

That's what i did to a PRS i built and the neck angle was a mess as well as the scale, to i deceide to scrape it all, i removed the fretboard, chopped the neck ( cuz it was glued with epoxy) and then routed the pocket again.