Should my first guitar be a kit?

I just recently found this great web site forum and have enjoyed reading everyones post about guitars.. I've seen some great looking guitars posted on the forum.. and one I noticed that used a small roller to paint.. that was neat ... I hope to try that in the future.. for fun... but I recently bought a new Fender guitar that was setup wrong.. so I started reading about how to set it up the right way.. and have learned how to do so... and came across guitar building web pages in the process.. lol.. now I'm reading all I can.. all the time.. and have ordered the book called "Make Your Own Electric Guitar".. can't wait to get it in.. also i have gotten a StewMac catalog which has alot of great thing in it.. so as you can see.. I'm really serious about wanting to make a guitar... I have noticed that some people say that you really should start out building just a kit first... and was wondering if you guys felt the same way 'bout this.. The thing I'm thinking would give me the most problems is the neck.. since I don't have a clue about how to figure out scale length and place the frets.. or even what tools to do so... and don't even mention truss rod to me.. lol.. it just seems too complicated.. even though I know what they do and understand the principal of the device.. I just think It would be way more than I can chew to start off from scratch.. Maybe I'm wrong... one thing about it is.. that I'm lucky in the fact that my Brother-In-Law has a whole shop full of woodworking tools.. He has multiple routers, bandsaws, scroll saws, miteor saw, table saw, planer, sanders, etc. etc. So I defintely don't have any excuses as far as tools go.. lol... But please give me your opinion on how I should start out... Thanks Alot!!!

Matt Vinson

First, welcome aboard! :D

As far as what to build goes, I guess it's really up to you. But if I can state my opinion let me add some things to ponder. A kit is a guitar that is in pieces. If you can take apart your guitar then you can build a kit. Or you can build the whole thing from scratch, whcih I think is the coolest. Either way, it will be something YOU did.

As for me, I am going to use a pre made neck with a paddle headstock and design my own body design and headstock design. I thiunk that is the best of both worlds. You actually made the body from scratch. But the part that will make or break the guitar (the neck) will be done already.

well you can do what ever you want! but my motto is " you will never learn if you dont try" so i just started building one day! and now i am working on two original designs that rock! as far as the neck goes, there not to dificult and there are a few good tutorials on this site that help alot! and for the frets and fret board, stew mac sells fret boards pre-sloted for either gibson, fender, or prs scale. they are nice i bought one! but if you fell a little intimidated wich you may because i know i was! maybe just buy the neck for your first one. and design a body.

but remember this forum is a great place to learn! and all the help you need is free! just ask.

Thanks for the advice... I think I'll actually get a kit and try to copy the body and make a new one from it.. Yeah I'm gonna need alot of help.. lol... especially when it comes to making a neck... hopefully I can make one of them in the next couple of months.. i know that you can buy 2 styles of truss rods.... one has to be routed curved and the two rod kind.. you slot it straight.. I think that's right.. lol... oh we'll any advice on the first kinda finish i should try... i know not sunburst... but what kinda paint should i buy and where do i get nitrocellulose laquer at? Again thanks...

Matt Vinson

Howdy, and welcome to our version of insanity. Or at least mine.

If you want to find suppliers, go back to the Project Guitar Suppliers page. You will find a pile of suppliers. For the nitro itself, StewMac or ReRanch are good vendors. Just order in advance as it only ships ground, not air.

Also, if you want to see the difference in time and effort between a kit or handmade/custom electric guitar, go to My Webpage and check out Yellow vs. Walnut. Personally, I don't think that Walnut would have been playable if I had not built the others first. But that's me and my problems.

Have fun and make sure you take lots of pix for us.

Guitar Ed

Very nice web pages... I see what you mean.. you learned from each guitar you made and kept getting better... Yeah and I've always wondered how they made the quilted maple top look like it does... so that was neat... you just used water base dye and sanded .. repeated.. till you get what your after... at work today I messed with the spray rig and painted some wood for fun.. shhh.. don't tell the boss.. anyway I figure it would be easier to buy the paint from StewMac.. but from other people they say I can buy acrylic laquer paint at a autoparts store and it will work good... anyone have an opinion on that...?

Matt Vinson

For myself, I have a multi-step plan.

I have yet to do anything when it comes to building guitars (need to find some time...), but this is what I figured I would do:

1. Get a good quality kit (like Carvin), which comes with a body already prepared for finishing.

At least this will give me some idea how to work on the finishing part, and I get to set up a guitar that has never been set up before. If the finish comes out like crap, at least it's still a decent guitar!

2. Head over to Warmoth and get all the parts from there.

The finishing has to be done from scratch, and all the wiring needs to be done.

Once again, the finish may look like crap, and the wiring need to be re-done, but it will be a decent guitar.

3. Get a finished neck, build the body from scratch.

4. Go all the way........

Any input on my plan???

:D

Matt,

Go for it! If you have access to all those tools, there's simply no excuse... :D

You could consider to buy a fingerboard here:Stew Mac fingerboards

I wish I knew of 'm when I started building my guitar.

As far as the trossrod, there's nothing much to it if you use the hotrod style trussrods... just rout a channel....

Good luck!

Coen

Again thanks for all the engouragement... I'm just amazed I found a message board that is this good for guitar building... quick replies..etc. Man, RAI6, you plan sounds something similiar to what I was thinking... thanks for the input... I'll buy a quality kit from Carvin or the Saga kit... I've been practicing painting and have already learned that you don't start the spray directly on the wood.. lol.. you start off the wood and then go across in an even manner.. so I'm thankful for trying on scrap lumber first.. lol... Tsl... I've used those type rollers to paint metal doors at work.. but have never even considered it on a guitar.. i'm gonna try that out also.. simply because your guitar looked awesome.. :D Also I'm wondering how good the quality is on the stewmac necks or any of the others for that matter. The neck is the most important aspect in my opinion.. I can't stand playing a guitar that buzzes.. because of terrible fret work...

Brian, I'm reading your article on fret jobs.. and trying to figure out if I'm smart enough to make the tool you designed.. lol.. hopefully I will have a chance to make one soon... The book should be in next week.. and i'll order a kit for next week also.. so I guess I'll be able to display my first guitar within about a month.. lol.. maybe sooner though.. I've already designed the headstock that I want.. can't wait to see it all worked out... Next step is trying to learn about quilted maple top guitars.. because I love the look of them... anyway i appreciate everyone's help and knowledge... maybe I won't ask too many questions and make everyone mad... lol.. oh we'll back to my drawings

Matt Vinson

maybe I won't ask too many questions and make everyone mad... lol..

Matt, questions are what this place is all about, well that and showing different ways to do things so don't be afraid to ask away even about the most simple thing.

Every time I ask the answer seems so simple I couldn't believe I missed it, plus it sure beats hitting your head against your monitor trying to find help.