I need a little help here...

Okay, I posted this on Jemsite, but with little success, and it was recommended that I try here, so here goes:

How would you go about setting up a bridge? I've got a Carvin 22-fret neck (this), and I'm going to be going with either a flat-mount bridge, or a stopbar/tune-o-matic.

My questions are:

-How would you measure the distance so that the bridge is placed properly?

-What would you measure from (and to on the bridge)?

-How would you make sure it's properly aligned?

Also I'm looking at two different bridges here, both from Carvin. One is flat mount string-through-body (found here), and the other is a tune-o-matic/stopbar (found here and here). Which would you recommend and why? Is one easier to install than the other?

Is there anything else I need to know about any of this stuff?

This is all for my summer project axe...

Thanks in advance for any help.

edit: fixed links, and BTW, this is a 25.5" scale neck.

the first bridge you listed is the easiest and is best because it doesn't require a neck angle,has string thru for sustain,and has a wider range for intonation,which is easier to set on that bridge.that bridge is very forgiving in it's placement.measure 25.5" from the nut(at the point where it meets the fretboard.)and make a line and that is where the point on the saddles of the bridge where the string crosses over it should be.what you are trying to accomplish is that the total string length between the nut and the point where it touches the saddle should be 25.5"

after you place it and assemble your guitar you will have to fine tune the intonation.go here to see how to do that.

if you are going to have a neck angle then forget everything i just said and go with the tune o matic. :D

no.measure from the nut to the point on the bridge where the string hits the saddle.if i could draw a picture i would but i don't have that capability.maybe alex would draw something?he's the picture wizard.but you want to be sure you know what you are doingbefore you place it.

no.measure from the nut to the point on the bridge where the string hits the saddle.if i could draw a picture i would but i don't have that capability.maybe alex would draw something?he's the picture wizard.but you want to be sure you know what you are doingbefore you place it.

That's right at the front of the saddle, right (away from that vertical piece)? (note: I was originally confused about the orientation of the bridge, which is why I mentioned it. After seeing pictures of the installed bridge the vertical piece goes toward the back...)

Anyway, the saddles are adjustable for intonation, so.... where should they be when I set the bridge? As far forward as possible? Dead in the middle?