Opinions On Porter Cable 690 Router

jay5

I have decided that I want to get a router that hcan use 1/2" shanked bits. I have found the P.C. 690 for $100 and was curious as to weather or not anyone has any opinions on this model. Thanks!

Jay,

I have just recently purchased a Porter Cable 690 router.....same price at Home Depot/Lowe's....

You can't go wrong. It's a real workhorse. Good quality, smooth operation, and plenty of power. I wish they would have made the Off-On switch a little more handy, but I don't really care. It's a great tool IMO and it will make your building experience much more enjoyable.

Curtis

My shop partner (now deceased) was a router junkie. He had about fourty (no kidding) all permanently set up to do one thing each. He had four of these puppies. I have two.

Can't beat a Porter Cable router.

Used mine this AM to make six tiger maple raised panel doors start to finish in 4 hours.

Do yourself a favor and buy the kit with the fixed and plunge bases. You may be able to fine the special that threw in an edge guide too. This is a 1 and 7/8 that will do nearly everything that a guitar maker needs.

Stay away from the blue ones that start with a RY. Underpowered junk, IMHO. Also the greenish blue ones that start with an MA. The yellow ones that start with D have switches that go bad a lot.

The new ones Milwaukee has come out with are nifty too, but day in a day out I grab the PC's for most stuff.

Cool, thanks guys. They have the kit but it's like $100+ more. I have survived without a plunge router this long so if I do decide to opt for it I will get one on ebay. The switch location kind of bothered me too but I figure for the price, ill make do. Thanks again!

If you can possibly afford it, get the plunge base kit....YOU WON"T REGRET IT!!!! Life will be some much easier when you have to rout any pickup or control cavity.....All it will take to convince you is the first time that you try and lower a fixed base router onto your workpiece and it catches and then, your bit tears up some expensive wood or a template. Doc and Phil Mailloux are right......Just Do It!!!!! Besides.....You can't have too many tools!!!!!

I have 6 P-C routers and a Bosch and all of them are workhorses.

Those porter cables are awesome. They can be used for so many things and with the screw on attachment to a base, they can be configured to work in different applications.. in a duplicarver, in an overarm setup, etc..

I have seen the kits go on ebay for next to nothing.. or if all you can afford right now is the d-handle kit, you can pick up the plunge kit later, or get it off of ebay. Cheaper than buying 2 routers..

Thanks for all the advice! I have looked at the Bosche router since reading the responses and it seems like a sweet tool. It has a really nice/smooth depth adjustment knob as well as 1/2 more horses than the P.C. 690. I have read good reviews about both online. I think I'm going to go for the kit with the plunging base whichever model I go with. Gonna have to see how much $$ I have left after my trip to NYC next week :D . I have been able to find both for ~$200 so well see. Thanks again guys!