Clear Coat

TGwaH

I know I'll get some disagreement, But I think nitrocellulose wins hands down.

It goes on faster. The quicker dry time means less dust and bugs.

There are fewer issues with intercoat adhesion. I can rub it out faster at the end, and it is repairable if you scratch it.

Both stink your shop up.

I know poly is harder and the coats build faster, but the above all trump this, IMHO.

1st of all those prices are ridiculous, I get my DEFT from Lowes at $5 a can, against $9 for Lee Valley? I havent used that deftane, but I think if I'm not wrong that they are from the same company. Also bear in mind that with the deftane you can't use any sanding sealer or sylicone based paint, that means a lot of adhesion problems in the future, if you are not sure what type of paint you used as base coat. You will have to build up your clear coat from the wood up, and use only water based colors as your bases with the poly. I haven't had any problem with the DEFT nitro, but I will like to use that poly to see the resulst, on a scrap piece of wood, and then subject it to abuse to see how it stands.

Also the DEFT will not yellow, all other poly except the automotive ones will, and the DEFT nitro levels like a charm, even when you go too heavy, it just take a bit manuevering of the guitar to make it settle smooth and correct the sun, also you can use their sanding sealer to save money and time building up the clear coat on stained guitars.

Thanks guys, I think I will be going with the nitro. I'll post the guitar once I'm done in a few weeks.

BTW, that $9 was Canadian dollars Maiden, it looks like in USD the Deft nitro is about $5.95 for what it's worth.

Though I now can't help get the feeling that I'm getting a bit ripped off :D