Buying equipment for live gigs... Help...

StarChild

Hey everyone! I'm saving to buy myself a new amp for live gigs as well as something I could use to practice at home in low volumes... I currently have a Rivera combo tube amp, which I'm not entirely happy with and is a bit busted, and I have my eye on the Line 6 Vetta or the Flextone lll... I have my eye on those amps 'cause I play lots of different styles and I'd like to have a variety of tones at my disposal but I'm also looking for a nice, tight Meshuggah/Fear Factory tone for tight rhythms and such but also has a nice clean sound as well... Can the Line 6 Vetta or Flextone lll give me this? These Line 6 amps can model a Mesa Boogie Dual and Triple Rectifier, which is what a lot of bands that play tight stuff play as well as any array of other interesting sounds... But strangly enough, I've heard lots of complaints about the tightness of the tone in Line 6 equipment... So I'm kinda lost... Anyhoo, I want something I can use in a live setting as well as practice through at home... Should I just get a combo amp or get a pre-amp/power amp? Which is more expensive? What would I need with a pre-amp besides a power amp? I hope this all isn't too damn confusing... :D

Anyway, I'll greatly appreciate ANY help! Thanks people! B)

StarChild

The line 6 should be able to get the tone you're looking for. A lot of that sound comes from the cabinets they're playing through, not just the heads. The line 6 does a good job at emulating different cabinets. As far as buying something new...the pre-amp/power amp setup will be more expensive. I would go out and play a bunch of amps, then try to find a used one that you like somewhere. You'd be surprised at what you can find at a pawn shop or small music store! Here's an example: I bought a 1942 Gibson 125T (i think that's the right model number) at a pawn shop for $200. It's not in great condition, but it's worth about $1100.

by the way my dod 12 band eq only cost about $100 brand new.and i suppose you know that dino from fear factory uses the flextone 2 head.personally i play that style and i was considering trying out the line 6 racmount preamp with a tube poweramp.but i have all but carved in stone that i will be getting the new marshall mode 4 give it a listen it has some decent clean tones and the metal tones are awesome.little more expensive though,and at 350 watts you have to have alot of restraint to not kill your neighbors with sheer volume.

also if you want to tighten up your rythm try emg 81 at the bridge and the single coil emgs are really clean and crisp for those clean tones at the neck or middle.kind of depends on your pickup configuration.anyways that's my 2 cents.