Entry Level Recording Gear

Dugz Ink

We have received enough questions about "how can I record my guitar" that I thought it was time to start a thread specifically listing gear that 1) does a decent job, and 2) most people can afford.

I am only listing gear that I have used.

Please add any gear that you KNOW does a decent job. People can read reviews and product specs everywhere, but it would be helpful to read what other players are actually using.

Do not turn this thread into a flame war! There will be differences of opinion; deal with it.

Behringer UB1204 analog mixer

This is the least expensive Behringer mixer that is worth buying. The smaller rigs (502, etc.) have crappy mic-pres and are prone to RFI/EMI. But the 1204 is realtively quiet. No, it's not "perfect"... but it's only $100... so don't expect it to sound as nice as a $50,000 pro-level mixer. However, it sounds better than anything in it's price range, and more than adequate for "home" recording.

It has "ALT 3/4" outputs that make it easy to monitor a previously recorded track through the mixer, and record a new track (also through the mixer) without re-recording the previous track. It's also small enough (13" x 10") to fit on a desk... as long as you don't have too much other stuff on the desk.

Forget about the UB1204-FX model; the effects aren't worth the extra money.

M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI sound card

All I can say is "WOW!" For less than $100 you can have a sound card that has very low latency (delay) and an extremely low noise floor. (-92dB) As far as analog inputs, it only has 2 (typically used as "right" and "left"), but that's not a problem if you use it with something like the UB1204 mixer.

Presonus Tube Pre

I don't think you can find a better pre-amp for $100. You might find some in that price range that sounds about as good, but I really don't know of any that sound better.

It will work for microphones or instruments; it has balanced XLR jacks and unbalanced 1/4" jacks. It offers phase inversion, a -20dB pad, 80Hz cut, and phantom power... each at the touch of a button.

Behringer Ultra-DI 100 direct box

This little beast was designed to be abused! You can plug almost anything into it... even some un-reasonable power levels. Why worry about which guitar is high/low Z... just plug it into the DI 100 and play.

Personally, I run the DI's outputs into the Presonus' inputs. That sends a clean hot signal to the mixer. Also, the pre-amp's phantom power can be used to power the DI, so there's no need for batteries or more power pacs. Add in the DI's "ground lift" switch, and you have a fairly bullet-proof rig.

FMR RNC1773 compressor

It could be the ugliest compressor on the street, but it is also the best sounding compressor that you can buy for under $500. The fact that it costs less than $200 makes it an even better deal. Everybody who has heard one has described these units as "transparent"... meaning that you don't realise that it's hooked up and working... which is really how a compressor is supposed to sound. (If it's evident, it's either set wrong or built wrong.)

Cakewalk Home Studio recording/sequencing software

This is very good. It's fairly easy to learn, comes with enough effects and options to keep the "newbie" busy for a while, and is powerful enough to produce some nice demos. Best of all, you can buy Home Studio, register it, then upgrade to Sonar (their full-throttle sequencing software) for a total cost that is less than the retail price of Sonar. Hmmm...

Have a home studio, which means noisy computer fans, the house ventilation kicking in and out, and someone's got a TV turned on in the other room? If so, your ultra-sensitive large-diaphragm condenser mic might not quite cut it. It might be almost "too good" for the envirotnment. Take at least some of the background out of the equation while retaining clarity by using a medium-diaphragm instead!

The one I use is a very humble Apex 435, which features a low-cut switch (internally, but very easily switched). $80 or so, and it'll work well with guitars OR voice.

Another alternative is the Kel Audio HM-1, which seems to be even better for not much more money.

Possibly not as clean as the Prosonous (I have no basis of comparison), but flexible and with the option to dial in some 'character' is the ART Tube MP Studio V3. There are also less expensive models, and to be honest the "Output Protection Limiter" on this unit isn't a deal-maker; however, the good sounds ARE. :D If not as clean as the Prosonous, at least cleaner than the crappy pre-amps in my Behringer UB802.

OK...big disclaimer here: the stuff I am about to list is NOT high-quality! Not by a long shot.

But it is convenient to take with you on travel, and dirt cheap. Having a job & family etc, I never find more time for creativity than when I'm on a business trip. So this list was assembled to be cheap & very portable and work with a laptop.

iMic USB external sound card. Runs mic or line-level stuff, PC and Mac. $40.

Kristal free-ware recording software. Free (duh).

or...

Audacity free-ware recording and audio-editing software, for both PC and Mac. Free.

Get (or make...) yourself a Steinberger-like travel guitar, and the whole package will fit with your laptop in your carry-on luggage. Put your ideas down while you're on the road instead of waiting to get back (damn...how did that bridge go????), then re-record them for real back at home with the good stuff like Dugz is listing.

I record straight into Acid by sony.. I happen to have a bunch of loop CDs and the Drum Tools is invaluable if like me, you hate trying to record acoustic drums but aren't happy with the run of themill drum machine either.

I use a Behringer B1 (i think that's what it's called) studio condenser mic through a behringer small mixer.. probably one of the "crappy" ones mentioned above :D I would have to say though it's freakin dead quiet and useing to ine stuff in, or mic record my acoustic I have nothing byt great results from it.

For recording acoustic guitar, i honestly don't even mic it anymore.. I have a baggs iBeam bridgeplate transducer and a baggs ParaAcoustic DI and between the two I get the best acoustic sound i've ever gotten. No peizo springy sound at all. All wood.

For electrics i have a fender Pro Jr. I crank to 12, put in an ISO box with the behringer mic and go to it..

Acid works great though for this type of thing. You can click record and just jam.. if there is a good piece you like you can extract it and make a loop file so you could loop your chord progressions and get that perfectly synchronized sound without having to do 100 takes.

I would just like to share my experience with the "value" priced equip. that is sure to show up on this topic. Nothing M-Audio or ART makes is a bad deal. Pretty good stuff. Beringer, on the other hand, has some real quality-control issues they need to address. Switches, pots and power suppies. In that order. When it works, it be good. Remember, this is IMHO.

Soundcard: Marian Marc 8 Midi (used to be Sek'd). 8 i/o's of super high quality. I picked it up for a nice price that's why. No midi, no need!

Mixer: Mackie 1202...another great find...can't beat those preamps

Shure SM 58...Samson larger diaphram thang.

Software: Cool Edit Pro

Drums on Demand drum loops --though if I had the bucks, I'd buy the Reel Drums set

Stuff I don't use:

Presonus Tube Pre ...it's okay, but nowhere near the quality of the Mackie's preamps. Gives some nice grain though.

Also in the realm of things I bought but never use: an ART compressor. Nice for recording bass, but now I have an amp with built in compression. I'd just as soon compress after...

A friend of mine just purchased the Lexicon Omega Desktop Recording System and is very happy with it. He has the version with Cubase SE, which he really likes. I've heard some things he has recorded and it is nice. In fact, I made a documentary and used some of the music we made together.

I have an M-audio Radium 49 midi keyboard which is really cool, right now I'm using it with garageband until I get some better software.

I have a Fostex Mr-8, which gives a good sound, but I haven't used it for a while. I'm selling it in the classified area if anyone is interested.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=15090

Also, I know this is mainly about recording gear, but I have an AKG dynamic that I have done some gigs and recording with, it sounds good and was a nice price ($99), I'm not sure of the model, though. I have only tried it with vocals.

I have to agree with the post that idch made; if you can afford a Mackie 1202, it would be better than the mixer or the mic-pre that I listed. However, if you only have $100 (and don't forsee having a lot more in the near future), you can at least start with the Behringer 1204, then buy better gear after you have a better understanding of your specific needs.

A lot depends on what you want to accomplish, too. I use the Behringer because I'm just laying down "work" demos; recordings that I take to real studios so the musicians can get an idea of what the song will sound like. I don't need high-quality mic-pres for that.

That's also why I use the Samson C01 mic; they're very inexpensive, and do a fantastic job... for the price. Does the C01 sound like a Neuman U87? Nowhere close. BUT... it DOES sound good enough for demos... especially since I'm recording in a half-bath that has half-ass sound treatment.

However, if you have the budget (and the space) to set up something nice, the Mackie mixer and a better microphone might be right for you. Even then, that "RNC1773" compressor would still be a great addition.

D~s

I have to agree with the post that idch made; if you can afford a Mackie 1202, it would be better than the mixer or the mic-pre that I listed. However, if you only have $100

That's also why I use the Samson C01 mic; they're very inexpensive, and do a fantastic job... for the price. Does the C01 sound like a Neuman U87? Nowhere close. BUT... it DOES sound good enough for demos... especially since I'm recording in a half-bath that has half-ass sound treatment.

Hey, Dugz, you and I seem to have a lot of similar equipment. I picked up the C03 instead, it has a switchable pattern, which I find useful. I get some decent recordings with it, but then again, I'm just doing this at home--I used to record on a cassette player (not even a cassette deck) way back when, so this is all luxury.

Also, I bought the Mackie for about $100, got really lucky on that find--it was used when I bought it, and seven years later, it's still going strong!

Wow, this is a great thread. I am wondering is the compressor really a necessary step? Does it make a big difference?

I've used mine once, recording my bass before I got hold of nice ampeg. Since then it's just gathering dust...

I find it easiest to record all instruments dry with no fx and do that kind of thing inside the computer. You get much more flexiblity that way.

Actually, most of the recording I do is with the SM58 in front of my amp, fed into the Mackie, which sends to the soundcard. And that's it.

Compressor isn't strictly necessary, however it's handy esp. if you have a nice transparent one OR if you really like the 'character' it imparts. Why? Tames spiky peaky playing and makes it easier to set levels. Without a compressor, one extra-hard (accidental sometimes) pick attack, and it's digital distortion city, from whence you will never recover.

If you have good quality inputs, there's usually no problem setting ultra-safe levels and just increasing gain within your sequencer without introducing much noise.

Greg

for my studio i have an M-audio Omnistudio loaded into my fatty computer

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/omnistudio.html

for someone who wants a break out box that has onboard mic pre-amp and a high impedance input that you can plug a guitar straight into id recomend this. clearlly its alitle more expensive but but its solidand works well

one other thing that ill just add.if you'remicing an amp, then make sure you have a decent speaker cab. im having to sit around untill i can have the cash to build a new amp since with my Shure SM57 i just can't get a good sound out of my diddy little MG15

also for people looking to do alot of research

http://www.tweakheadz.com/index.html

i found this site a few days ago and it has loads of great info for making home studios including recomended setups for certain budgets and styles of music you want to make

I havent read though the whole post so dont shout at me if this has already been mentioned BUT..

I help many people record there bands and also help people choose what would be nice for entry level recording setups

Yamaha make a VERY GOOD range of mixers at low prices... I currently have in my setup at a friends house (store one there just for rehearsels) an Yamaha MGH10/2 and a Behringer 15 Band EQ and Behringer Preamp and all of that together came to little under £250

Hope this helps :D