Looking for opinions...

Okay, I've heard the arguments tone-wise for each (which basically boil down to: it really doesn't matter), so cosmetically speaking, which would look best on a natural mahogany guitar with gold hardware. The pickups are zebra and reverse zebra, and the rings would be black. I have a set, but the router template is set up for direct-mount (it would require extra cutting to fit rings in). Would it be worth the extra pain in the butt of cutting out a bit more wood to fit the rings in there? Or should I just direct mount them...

one thing to consider when direct mounting.you have the option of routing it so that instead of sitting on springs,as most of them do,you COULD leave a step under where the pickup mounting tabs set for screwing your pickups into.the only thing is you have to plan ahead as to what your bridge height will aproximately be so that you can set your pickups at the correct distance from the strings.this is what i have done to my v and the advantages are(theoretically)better sustain and resonance.i have never played a guitar like this but it is at no risk because if you don't like it you can route out the step and do it the spring mounted way.

one thing i am going to do on my v also is i plan to route out a shelf around my pickups and install rings made out of bubinga(flush mounted)this way you don't have to watch the area around the pickup get full of gunk.

ok, yeah, I'm probably going to go with springs though, to save myself the trouble. It's my first project, and I really don't want to start fooling with the routing, screw something up, and shoot myself in the foot. Thanks, though! :D