Would This Work?

had a thought and was wondering if anyone had any comments.

would it be possible to build a "headless" style neck, only put a headstock on it and use a string thru type method up that end. that way it wouldn't have the look of a true headless neck, but would look very unique.

as you can see i am a noob, so i may be kidding myself that something like this could work.

any comments would be appreciated.

sort of like that, but with the strings set out in a conventional way as if there were tuning pegs there.

i assume the ferrules would do that, i dunno really, i'm just tossing the idea around at the moment.

just wanted to be different, and those tuners are hideous (just my opinion) :D

Edited by dash

tuners would be similar to a speedloader/steinberger setup, probablly home made, my mate is a wizard at machining, so i'll be knocking on his door to get him to come up with a solution.

Check out neil mosers BC Rich Bich design. he mounted tuners at the body end of the axe and used bass strings in addition to the standard strings. I think jackson did something simular for Dan Spitz when he was in Anthrax and im pretty sure you can look at the jackson archives over at www.jacksonguitars.com and find it.

Im doing something simular at some point in future with no headstock and a variation on the super strat shape. I plan to use those Steinberger tuners but mounted on the body where the ferruls should be. Of course, it wont have a trem, just a TOM bridge.

I stumbled across a site that had guitars like you're mentioning.

It looked like he was using something similar to standard string-thru ferrules on the head, and then (as you mentioned) a special bridge that would allow for tuning... similar to the Steinberg headless guitars.

However, I can't remember the site or the name of the company.

D~s