Classical Action

Reveived a hand made mexican classical guitar as a gift recently. Sounds great, and plays well, as in the intonation is well on, and it stays in tune well with no buzzing. But the action seems a bit high to me at 9 to 10 64th's, compared to a nice accoustic i have setup at 4/64ths. Of course the nylon strings are much easier to play. I have checked the nut height and the neck is near perfect straight with a very slight releif in it, so i'm assuming lowering the bridge would be ok ? i'm just not certain what's considered a good action for a classical ? There is one problem however, the saddle on this guitar isn't very high, so i probably won't be able to adjust the action by very much and i don't want to go sanding down the bridge on a brand new classical guitar.

Comments, suggestions ?

According to my "Guitar Player Repair guide" by Dan Erlewine.....Nylon strings have greater elasticity and have a greater vibrating arc than steel strings, therefore they need more clearance to avoid "buzzing" So you can take that for what its worth.

George

Nylon strings have greater elasticity and have a greater vibrating arc than steel strings, therefore they need more clearance to avoid "buzzing"

True, but if i remember the instructions from my last guitar teacher, he was very critical about how to play fingerstyle, and i think you're supposed to pull the string sideways with your nail and part of your finger, not pluck it up (away) from the guitar, that WOULD require higher action to keep it from buzzing. But thank you for the info.

I did find some info on the net, referencing roughly the same action that i see on my guitar, still, seems awfully high. Maybe i'm just an electric whimp hehe...

Edited by krazyderek

• 2 weeks later...

Your last guitar teacher does not understand the physics of vibrating strings at all well. It don't matter which way you hit them. They gonna do 360 degrees of movement or they ain't gonna make no noise. I would normally say "IMHO" but NOT in this case.

Edited by thedoctor

Sorry mate, but the guy's guitar teacher was dead right ... buzzing can indeed be caused by plucking the string vertically instead of horizontally. If you don't believe me go to Frank Ford's www.frets.com and look up "Buzz Diagnosis". That is the best single site on maintenance there is, written by one of the top guitar technical people in the world, and is an unimpeachable source.

Doctor, you are partially correct, but still wrong.

Derek, just shave the bridge, or make a temporary wooden one to see how you like the feel before cutting the existing one if you dont have a spare. Saddles are cheap. Classical action is always high though.

PS. Floyd?? You were going to get back to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Take a jump rope and tie one end to a tree. If you flick your wrist upwards does the rope go sideways?

Same thing with a guitar string. Just go to your favorite guitar and pluck the string in parallel and then perpendicular to the top and just watch as the notes decay. You will notice a difference in the shape of the strings pattern.Or at least you should .

How does this relate to classical action? I don't know. Rhoads56 has some good advice though. Make a test saddle and find out what you like. Then replicate that with the origianl saddle. It is all personal anyway. I know electric players that like their action way higher than I like my acoustics. And the last acoustic I made played as smooth as my electrics. It really depends on what you like.

Edited by Myka Guitars