Guitar Repair Help

Hey everybody, I hope this is in the right section of the forum... Anyways, a few days ago I came home to find that my guitar neck (Epiphone Les Paul) was broke, it's a pretty clean crack right on the glue seamline that connects the neck to the headstock. I've only had the guitar for two months, and I've got heavy strings on it (Well they're .11) I was told that it wouldn't warp the neck, let alone break the freaken thing, which I'm not sure of... I havn't really knocked the guitar around, it might've fell once or twice(On carpet) and it's got a couple dents(One on the body and the base of the neck)... Anyways, I was really hoping someone on the forums could help me decide what it would take to make this kind of break, and if the guitar is a defect... Also if it was repaired would it have any affect on it afterwards? Like would the neck be warped (The crack extends right up below the fretboard and it's cracked a little bit actually.) There's pictures taken below...

Picture 01

Picture 02

Picture 03

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

It looks like it was just the glue that popped - It is almost certainly a manufacturer's defect and would be covered under warranty (is it new or new-to-you?).

If it is not under warranty - If it's what I said (and it sure looks like it is), probably no wood actually broke, it was just the glue joint that broke, so all you would have to do is pop the fretboard off (it's pulled off a ways down the neck, you'd probably have to take it all the way off to glue it back on. And actually, that glue joint shouldn't have popped either - they must've used some bunk glue on the guitar), pull the headstock piece off, sand the old glue off, and glue the pieces back together. If you're not comfortable doing something like that, any decent shop that does work on guitars should be able to fix it.

Also, if it's used new-to-you, you might want to take it back to the shop (or person) where you got it and see what they'll do. That's not the sort of break you get on a piece of wood with proper glue joints, and they'll know it's not anything you did. Unless you've been soaking your guitar in a hot bathtub :D.

Seriously, you didn't do anything wrong, and even if it's not under warranty anymore and you can't get the shop/person who sold it to you to do anything you ought to be able to get it fixed without too much trouble.

Edited by jnewman

If it is under warranty your dealer should replace the neck.

If it's not you can glue it up as jnewman described and you think it's within your skill level.

If you think it's beyond your skills then just replace the neck if its a bolt on. You can find Epi LP bolt on necks all over ebay for a few bucks. You will pay less for a replacement neck than a shop will charge you to fix it.

It is under the warranty, and the dealer's claiming that it was mis-used, voiding the warranty, but they're gonna just glue it back together out of "curtousy." (The dude who owns the dealer has a rep for being an asshole so...) I don't know if I should just let them glue it back together or If I should expect a new guitar as a replacement.

Though thanks for the info guys, helps a heap. :D

no, misuse is the neck snapped down the middle.. or a chunk was taken out of the body.. This is a broken scarf joint and a separated fingerboard that happened spontaneously.. that's a malfunction, not damage. I would ask for a new one outright, and call gibson if he doesn't want to do it. Gibson doesn't want dealers that hassle gibson customers. UNLESS you just happened to love that particular guitar (some folks are attached to their particular guitar and would never want to risk a replacement) and in that case i would just let them glue it.

Makes me wonder though, if they can't spot a malfunction when they see it, do they have the knowhow to fix it?

It is under the warranty, and the dealer's claiming that it was mis-used, voiding the warranty, but they're gonna just glue it back together out of "curtousy." (The dude who owns the dealer has a rep for being an asshole so...) I don't know if I should just let them glue it back together or If I should expect a new guitar as a replacement.

Though thanks for the info guys, helps a heap.  :D

Ask him to call Gibson for an RA#. It would be customary for you to pay $10.00 shipping to Gibson. I work for an authorized EPI-Gibson shop. If the store that you bought the guitar at will not get off thier butts and just call for an RA....I would call Gibson myself.

I would also refuse a repair by any "in house" tech.

Absolutely a bad scarf joint, should be no question as to it being a manufacturing defect. I would not accept a repair by an inhouse tech, especially if they can't tell that is a faulty scarf joint. Any reputable tech would spot that in a heartbeat. I am sure Gibson will fix the problem. If ya don't mind me askin what dealer sold you the guitar and is claiming it is not a defective joint?

Peace, Rich

Yeah, if it's still under warranty your best bet might be:

1. Tell them (politely) that they're wrong, it's a manufacturing defect, and they need to replace it.

2. If that doesn't work, tell them you'll be happy to get the return authorization number from Gibson yourself.

3. If that doesn't work, call Gibson's customer support, talk to them, get the number you need to call back, then go into the store and call Gibson from there.

4. If that doesn't work, see if you can get Gibson to replace it themselves.

Whatever happens, I'd find a new guitar shop - that's inexcusable. They're just trying to get out of filling some paperwork and taping shut a shipping box.

They're just trying to get out of filling some paperwork and taping shut a shipping box.

That's right. We do RA#'s all day long. The only thing your dealer needs to do is get the RA number and ship it. Which you pay for. No big deal. Take Jnewman advice and find a new dealer. If your a teen, you may want to bring your parents with you to the store.

Yeah, if it's still under warranty your best bet might be:

1. Tell them (politely) that they're wrong, it's a manufacturing defect, and they need to replace it.

2. If that doesn't work, tell them you'll be happy to get the return authorization number from Gibson yourself.

3. If that doesn't work, call Gibson's customer support, talk to them, get the number you need to call back, then go into the store and call Gibson from there.

4. If that doesn't work, see if you can get Gibson to replace it themselves.

Whatever happens, I'd find a new guitar shop - that's inexcusable. They're just trying to get out of filling some paperwork and taping shut a shipping box.

Well, I live in Canada, so theres basically only one authorized dealer in Canada that does warranty for ALL Gibson/Epiphone instruments in Canada... Would that be pretty much calling Gbison up themselves? I emailed Gibson and they directed me to them, so I would figure so. Either way thanks for the reassurance everybody.

You will probably have to either send or take the guitar to that authorized warranty dealer in Canada. They will then probably send the guitar to Gibson's central repair facility and determine if it can be repaired or replaced for less cost to Gibson. With something as cheap as an Epi, they'll probably just send you a new guitar. Repairing a neck like that would cost them probably $200 in man-hours. They can give you a new Epi Les Paul for around $50 to them.

By the way, DO NOT TELL THEM YOU DROPPED THE GUITAR, EVEN IF IT WAS JUST ON CARPET!!!

Is this an Epiphone thing? That's the third popped joint on an Epi that I've see this week (including the acoustic guitarist in the band who showed up at practice a couple weeks back with this god-awful ugly used piece of (#$# LP that he overpaid for --the joint failed a couple days ago).

I'd been considering finding an Epiphone neck for a project, but I've changed my mind....

I sort of figured Epis were starting to get a little on the "shoddy" side. A few years ago when I saw how many were flooding into the guitar stores in my area I couldn't help but wonder how many are literally being stamped out for those prices. Early Epis were pretty good guitars, some are even considered vintage and collectibles.

I sort of figured Epis were starting to get a little on the "shoddy" side. A few years ago when I saw how many were flooding into the guitar stores in my area I couldn't help but wonder how many are literally being stamped out for those prices. Early Epis were pretty good guitars, some are even considered vintage and collectibles.

That kinda makes me worried, i LOVE my Epi LP, i wouldnt trade it even for gibos best custom shop peice (well, maby i would). Id asume thed just send you a replacement. That shop is worthless, i would never do busness with them again if i were you, i snapped one machine head on my LP and my shop gave me 6nice grover units, thats what i call good service :D

Hope you get it all fixed and are happy with it.