Got A Couple Questions

how much would it cost to get a custom neck made from a luthier? (i already checked warmoth but i wanna know how they compare n stuff) i havnt called my luthier about this yet because i just wanna do some checkin to see if this is realistic

the neck would be either maple with black MOP block inlays/ or ebony with white MOP blocks

black binding (or white if i chose the ebony board)

custom HS

and scalloping of the last 6 frets

what would something like this typically run me?

and if i bought this jackson king v body off ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW would i be able to get him to set the neck to it?

or is that a dumb question :D

I think you have much to learn and need to read some more. Posts like this one do tend to get ignored or create a great deal of negative comments because its obvious from what you have said that you have no idea.

If youre learning about guitars and the art of the luthier, then fine, go read some books and learn a bit about the instrument. Typically this place is for those who are attempting to build their own guitars.

To answer your questions tho, The cost is very variable. A luthier built neck should cost you far more then a ready made neck from Warmoth. The neck however is only the beginning of the process. You then need to take into account a bridge as the body you specified has no bridge mounting on it. This will have to be added at an additional cost for hardware and then a cost for a luthier to do the work. different types of bridge will incurr differing costs

You also have to buy tuning heads, a pickup, the afore mentioned bridge, electronics plus finish the wood so it has some protection against the elements and everyday wear and tear, plus body and neck binding, Fret scalloping and the final setup. This all costs money. Unless you intend to do the work yourself, the cost could be hundreds.

okay, cool, thanks guys

my luth is good. just didnt wanna bother looking into all the neck options if the body was a no go from the start anyway :D

now im thinkin, why do custom guitars cost 2-4k? if the neck would be max 600, and a body 500ish....not counting hardware, where do all the other fees go?

hardware isnt an issue. neither is finishing.

this is only concerning the bare-bone neck construction, and its addition to that body

Also you have to remember that if you want a TOM bridge, you'll need a neck angle. It's doubtful that the seller has done that, you might want to ask.

nah, floyds going in this one

Why are custom guitars so expensive?

Because building a guitar properly is not easy.

Because the amount of time involved to do the work is not trivial.

Because of the amount of time spend with the customer trying to figure out just what in the blazes they really want and mean.

Guitar Ed

It's sort of obvious that you have never had a job where you built anything for a living.

You're paying for shop rent, heat, electricity, the truck to go to the lumber yard, taxes, insurance, taxes, more insurance, tools, the dumpster out back, bandaids, peroxide, sandpaper.........

My small shop has about a year's salary in tools in it.

Oh, yeah. I have about thirty or so years of experience. They don't sell that online.

Einstein proved that time is money. I bill my shop time at $60 an hour and I don't get to keep all that much of it by the time I address all of the above items.

the reason custom guitars are sooo freakin expensive is it's about the hardest freakin thing you'll ever do. Sure just making a neck aint -all- that hard but when you build the -whole- guitar and you gotta finish it and put it all together than things start getting expensive.

But if your wondering this than you obviously haven't played a handmade custom instrement. They sound and feel and look WAY better than anything you'll get in a factory. (with the exception of say a PRS private stock, but those are all hand built anyways you just go through PRS to get them)

But if your wondering this than you obviously haven't played a handmade custom instrement.  They sound and feel and look WAY better than anything you'll get in a factory.

i know this. thats why i buy them :D

and im still not adding up the costs right

neck - 450

body - 450

putting it together - 250 (?)

paint/finish - 250

hardware/electronics - 240

pickups - 100

= 1740

and thats with me being generous

ok maildude, i may be a newbie to this forum as well, but i think ur missing the point, the other day i spent close to $200 on only half the electronics and hardware, and this is fairly average stuff (not including pickups), pickups for ok ones r about 60-100 each, and a luthier's usually charge a fairly large component for labour, about 350 for a re-fret (correct me if im wrong), if u work it out about 60-80 an hour, they usually use top notch woods, which are not by any means cheap. and parahprasing what godin said there is nothing like guitar that fits you like a glove.

i think you should do some more research, and shop around and find a price ur comfotable with.

luke

:D

Wow. $1640 for everything, then only $100 for pickups? Woof. Why bother with all that expense only to use toy pickups?

Yep, finishing, fitting, fine tuning, and setup drive the cost. One reason I primarily concentrate on the necks is economics. It keeps me extremly busy, and I don't have to redirect my efforts to all the time consuming little things that go into a complete unit. Sure I still make them, but not nearly as often as I might have to otherwise.

-Doug

It's clear that you've never built a guitar, but that's okay, as most people haven't. You certainly DO have the right to question why anything costs as much as it does, but just realize that when you look at where you're asking the question you need to think "tactful". For the guys that DO build custom guitars for their livelyhood, it is offensive when someone tells them that they are completely out of line with their prices, which is what you are saying, in effect, even if not directly. That's just how it comes off.

That said, this is a case where the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. You can't just take every little thing and put a pricetag on it. That's a relatively new concept in modern thinking, and frankly it's seldom accurate or reasonable. If Doug can make a neck for under $200 than kudos to him, as that's awesome! But I'm sure he would tell you, as he alluded to, that when you focus on one thing you can do it more efficiently, which is why he would be able to make necks better and faster than myself or some of the other guys here. But a guitar isn't just a neck or a body or pickups or whatever.

Think of it like art. Hmm, a $50 canvas and $5 worth of oil paints don't really add up to the thousands of dollars some pieces of art go for. The value is in the unseen. The builders here who do custom work are CREATING something new, which has innate value in and of itself, something that can't really be broken down into dollars and cents. Now I personally have not been charging very much for the guitars I have been building because I mostly do repair work and only have three instruments under my belt, but the more I get into this the more I realize that I would prefer to never own a guitar BUT a custom built one, if for no other reason than it's an expression of humanity, of how we were created to also create. And personally, I wouldn't expect to pay any less than around $1500 or so, bare minimum.

Yeah, it's okay to want to understand costs and pricing and all of that, but it's not just some math equation. I commend EVERY person on this forum who has decided to step out of the boat and attempt to create something unique, something different, and to do it with their own two hands. That's just phenomenal, and I hope we can all keep doing this as long as we live. :D