New (old) Strat Breaks Strings

I picked up a great old MIJ Strat last week, since then I've been playing it nonstop.

Tonight I brought it to band practice for the first time....and broke three strings!

They're all breaking off where the string leaves the sustain block --you can pretty much see the grove worn into the bridge (the former owner must have loved this guitar, it's been well-played).

I'm guessing I can use my dremel to smooth things out, but I figure I'd check here first in case anyone has dealt with this and knows a better way.

I'm definitely going to get a tremsetter for the guitar though--as soon as you break a string, the guitar's completely unplayable!

Luckily I had a back up guitar with me...

Im not sure if its the same problem, but I know Stevie Ray Vaughan used to have trouble with strings breaking at the bridge and it was a contact issue with something... (perhaps it was a bit further up, a smidge behind the saddles), but either way, his tech used these little rubber casings (almost like wire insulation on the where the contact was happening on the higher strings to stop the breakage. Useless to you perhaps, but I thought id say it anyway.

Its amazing what you learn from a Dan Erlewine book :D I beleive he described it as a "labour of love" :D

- Dan

Im not sure if its the same problem, but I know Stevie Ray Vaughan used to have trouble with strings breaking at the bridge and it was a contact issue with something... (perhaps it was a bit further up, a smidge behind the saddles), but either way, his tech used these little rubber casings (almost like wire insulation on the where the contact was happening on the higher strings to stop the breakage.  Useless to you perhaps, but I thought id say it anyway.

No, not useless. I'll read up on SRV--- the contact is with the bridge PLATE (the part that screws onto the sustain block. Since the guitar is old, it looks like the strings have worn grooves/burrs in there.

Interesting that he used rubber--I would have chosen a more slippery material, like teflon tubing if I can find it...

Another thought I had would be making a little concoction using baking soda, lots of graphite and a little CA...I did that for a nut once, and ended up with a really hard but slippery material.

But I don't see how I can get that neatly into this area...

Seems strange to me that after 50 years no one has come up with a product to eliminate this problem?

I picked up a great old MIJ Strat last week, since then I've been playing it nonstop.

Tonight I brought it to band practice for the first time....and broke three strings!

They're all breaking off where the string leaves the sustain block --you can pretty much see the grove worn into the bridge (the former owner must have loved this guitar, it's been well-played).

I'm guessing I can use my dremel to smooth things out, but I figure I'd check here first in case anyone has dealt with this and knows a better way.

I'm definitely going to get a tremsetter for the guitar though--as soon as you break a string, the guitar's completely unplayable!

Luckily I had a back up guitar with  me...

You didn't say, but I guess you're using the trem a fair amount? Bending the strings a lot?

I don't know. I've played strats for a long time and I've never broken strings like that. But anyway, have you tried Big Bends Nut Sauce?

:D

Why not replace the saddles with some that are made to keep strings from breaking. Here's a few.

Graph Tech Strat Saddles

Phantom String Locks

FerraGlide Saddles

American Deluxe Bridge Saddles

I'm sure Brian can get these also. Some of those cheaper bridge saddles have too many problems with string breakage, in my opinion it's just better to replace them with better parts.

Well, it's not the saddles --I just replaced those with new saddles, but the breakage is clearly at the hole as the string leaves the plate to go the saddle.

I spent the afternoon (well, the last couple of hours) cleaning those up--there were pretty bad notches in the metal on all the strings that broke (D, G, :D. I used my mini-drill, then some 2000 grade sandpaper. They look much smoother now. But I still don't trust them.

So I took it step further...(thanks to the SRV tip):

I found a piece of thin clear tubing, so I slipped a piece of that onto each string (Except the low E and A, since they were too fat to go through). Now the string doesn't touch the metal, it rides against the plastic....You barely see it and it doesn't come onto the saddle, so it shouldn't affect the tone...well, we'll see. I used this rather than another because it was fairly rigid, not hard plastic, not soft like wire tubing>

And I went even further still...I made my own Nut Sauce (I should have figured that existed...now that I know about it, I'll definitely pick some up).

My recipe: Graphite (from a very soft-leaded Diversey Rock-a-Bowl pencil I have here) + one small drop of machine oil. The machine oil turns the graphite into a nice sludge. I fill all the nut slots with that, and also coated the saddles with it. Okay, it's messier than the Nut Sauce (got a nice looking grey nut now!), but it should help...(I also have some under the pivot too).

I don't use the trem that much --I have the tension set pretty tight, so dive bombs are right out. Not my thing anyway, I prefer a Bigsby -type shimmer, the occasional surfer chord.

We'll see how this works. Worse comes to worse, I'll replace the bridge altogether ( I got an excellent deal on this guitar, most likely because the previous owner got tired of breaking strings all the time :D )

Oh yeah, I do have Graph Tech stuff-- on this guitar I have string trees, and I might have a trem nut cut for it one of these days. I use their saddles on another guitar, but those change the tone a bit, which works for that guitar, but not for this one.

Edit:

Heh heh, I've been looking through that Nut Sauce site ---they sell "String Sleeves"! Wow, $5 for a piece of tubing!

And if you look at the original nut sauce formula--well, 10 to 1 that's a mixture of graphite and machine oil...anyone willing to bet?

Edited by idch

How are you gonna tell, by taste test?  lol

Heh heh...actually, if you read through the guy's site a bit, he's pretty honest about what he's selling. In fact, on one page he sums up my situation pretty well, I hit those strings pretty well...

As for how do I know if the string are breaking at exactly that point --well, because the strings were getting caught in the notches!

And I went even further still...I made my own Nut Sauce (I should have figured that existed...now that I know about it, I'll definitely pick some up).

Oh God, I just got finished picking myself off of the floor! That has got to be the funniest thing I've ever seen on the forum.

Oh God, I just got finished picking myself off of the floor! That has got to be the funniest thing I've ever seen on the forum.

Oop, I just read that again... :D

If you have vintage bridge check out this bridge. Best in business according to others and will also improve the tone of your guitar .

www.callahamguitars.com

I've seen those, yeah. Seems to me just more hoodoo-voodoo.

Anyway, I seem to have solved the string breaking problem-- the tube sleeves really help. Tuning is really stable too.

I know I am late to the party here (story of my life) but another thing you might want to check out are the strings by these guys: http://www.kerlymusic.com/ They are a local company (to me) that is just starting up. They sell strings that are coated from the ball end to the bridge to prevent breakage. They are also really nice strings. Relly nice people too, met them at a show, and told them I did work on guitars and the hooked me up with all kinds of free samples. Worth checking out.

George

I know I am late to the party here (story of my life) but another thing you might want to check out are the strings by these guys: http://www.kerlymusic.com/ They are a local company (to me) that is just starting up. They sell strings that are coated from the ball end to the bridge to prevent breakage. They are also really nice strings. Relly nice people too, met them at a show, and told them I did work on guitars and the hooked me up with all kinds of free samples. Worth checking out.

George

Well it's a good idea. Although I'm wondering whether the fact that the coated part of the string rests on the saddle has an effect on the tone?

I like that Saddle Juice idea too...

Have you tried the strings?

If you have vintage bridge check out this bridge. Best in business according to others and will also improve the tone of your guitar .

www.callahamguitars.com

I've seen those, yeah. Seems to me just more hoodoo-voodoo.

Anyway, I seem to have solved the string breaking problem-- the tube sleeves really help. Tuning is really stable too.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24908

read this for sme more hoodo-voodoo explanations

Edited by Stray_Cat

Idch,

Yes I've tried the strings, and I love them I also have two guitarists I do work for that swear by them. As far as them affecting the tine, i don't think so, but I am far from an expert on such things. I have some guitars strung up with those, and some with the other strings I use, but I know guys that won't use anything else.

George

read this for sme more hoodo-voodoo  explanations

:DB):D

Excellent! He actually WEIGHED all the sustain blocks in his guitars!

And he was 'suprised' to discover that his pickups measured 6.3 k and NOT 6 k!

Surprising how **** people can be. For me the main issues are: Will it stay in tune long enough to finish a set? And will I get through the set without breaking any strings?

After that, well, this 'tone' thing...come on...every stage is different, every day is different...

read this for sme more hoodo-voodoo  explanations

:D:D:D

Excellent! He actually WEIGHED all the sustain blocks in his guitars!

And he was 'suprised' to discover that his pickups measured 6.3 k and NOT 6 k!

Surprising how **** people can be. For me the main issues are: Will it stay in tune long enough to finish a set? And will I get through the set without breaking any strings?

After that, well, this 'tone' thing...come on...every stage is different, every day is different...

B) Incredible... Wonder if he invests all that time also in tuning his amps...