Guitar Kits

A lot of people seem to like the saga kits. They are cheap and as a foundation, not too bad. Concensus seems to be that the tuners suck in a major way.. Also the wood is pre-sealed so you have to keep that in mind when considering finishes.. but to just clearcoat, or do a solid color on it's a great way to try it all out.

And like mentioned above.. you can buy them from UniversalJems.com and support this forum that way. his prices are competitive.

The kit you would buy from Jems isn't the same as a kit you buy from LMI or others. They may be SAGA kits but Jems goes through them and culls the crap. The Grizzlies seem to be slightly better components but I don't think it be worth the money. If you are going to trash the tuners, trash the pickups (I don't have a problem with the SAGA pickups, just not quality) and have to do a lot of finish work to get around their over-sealed wood surfaces, why not just buy a unfinished body and neck and pick up parts as needed? Kits are cool cause you got everything there you need but you also get a lot of compromises. First project? I think I would buy a SAGA from Jems and get it under my belt.