Thinking Of Converting My Godin To 12 String

ok so I think it would be cool to have a Godin SD (hence the name :D ) a 12 string. Is it possiable to convert a guitar to 12 string? Would the neck handle it? I mean it's quatersawn rock maple. All I would have to do is put a 12 string bridge on it and drill the headstock for 6 more steinberger tuners (thers enough room I measured). I dont mind that the string spacing would be close.

So is this possiable? What would be some problems I might run into?

Edited by Godin SD

In addition to any other technical problems (which I'm not knowledgable enough to advise you on), I can only think of one problem:

12-string electrics suck.

:D

Then again... a 12-string Rick is a beautiful thing, so why not a 12-string Godin?

Greg

Are you SURE you can get six more tuners on there? Looks too small to me. The bridge will be no problem and the electronics are finally not an issue. SD's Hot Rails or Cool Rails work great on 12-strings. Go with a Gotoh 12-way adjustable bridge and set the action low and flat. EXL strings. I say go for it!!

Lipstick pickups will work too.

Have you thought about doing a 'partial' 12 string? I was thinking it'd be cool to have an nine string --that way you just double up the first three strings....you get the sound with less tension, and it'd be easier to fit three tuners. An eight string would sound cool too.

Standell had a 9-string during the early Byrds/Hollys era and the necks went left constantly. They were very hard to play, also. I think people overlook the tonal difference between the chorus string first/chorus string second steup. Ricks sound MUCH different than the standard orientation 12-strings. Danelectro LOVED lipstick pickups but they have a low output and tend to be muddy. OK, IMHO.