My Dream Guitar - Your Help And My Learning!

Hi everyone. As I mentioned in my long-winded introduction, I have clearly in my mind the electric guitar that would be perfect for me. Right now I am going to upgrade my line with a nice processor, and some other items. I do not want to get another electric ever, unless it's perfect - and to be perfect it'd have to be custom.

So anyways...

I need to take the next step, which means I need to learn about my possibilities of having work done, and doing some myself. To me it seems that making a body is simpler and uses much more common tools than a neck. I have red about 50+ threads on this site to gather all I can - and bookmarked lots of wood companies and custom design companies.

Let me tell you a little about my needs - and I will use this column to get your wonderful help.

BODY

The body is simple. It is symmetrical about the neck when looking at it face forward. In basic, you can imagine both sides looking like the "cutaway" side of a classic fender. With the pointy part a slight bit less rounded. It's a pretty general idea - the unique part is both sides are symmetrically identical.

The line input goes through the bottom center, like an acoustic/electric - right where the arm strap hooks on

My guitar will not have a volume knob or a tone knob. There are multiple options yet to be chosen 1. It will have just one pickup 2. It will have pickup and driver for a fernandes built in 3. It might also need a slot for a midi divided pickup. So in otherwords, the knobs will only need to be those for the sustainer and midi if needed

I will probably go for a nice locking tremelo - possibly a speed loader if I can get it.

I am considering one unique possibiliity - rather than having holes cut out for the pickups, I may have one giant hole cut out covering the whole range of where the pickups could go - this will have a small screw in trim around it which lets me move pickups at will - in otherwords the pickup slots are gutted out like a grave, allowing for any setup.

I would also like to know if it's possible to put "matter" between the pickups and the string - so the pickups are not directly viewable like on a "digital" guitar.

Those are the main point of the body. Mostly routing changes - and symmetry which is the reason I cannot purchase a premade body and re-route it.

NECK

The neck is a bit different.

The headstock won't need pegs if I go with a speedloader - the headstock should also be symmetrical.

I would like a neck WITHOUT a fretboard - and also it should have no fretboard inlays at all. I am considering one at the octave at most at 6 - 12 - 18.

I may want it scalloped too.

Those are the main considerations

----------------------------------------------

So here's my main questions.

I am interested to know - since the parts are straight-forward and require no unique artistic style, rather good calculations - if anyone here could do either of these for me.

I am also interested in the tools needed for doing the body, as it is more likely I could do this myself or have someone locally cut it - since the cuts are of a standard type.

I know I will need a routing saw (router) and a band saw -- Do I need table for both, are their "handheld" options? I have regular saws like circular.

DO you think there are any sources that could produce a symmetrical body with this shape, so that I might only need to do the routing?

Do you think a neck of this type could be pre-made by any company that makes these kit pieces? I have searched and found nothing meeting all my needs

Thank you guys - your knowledge is appreciated. Unlike many, my goal is to get my dream made, and not to experiment with new styles. I hope you guys can help me get there - if anyone here could produce these I would love to talk.

Unfortunately I am not local to any guitar designers - I live in a far off island!

Let me know if you need to know more - and I will keep providing updates and help I would love from you guys.

Are there any wood shops around the island? Some that make cabinets or something simular, would be a good place to have the basic's cut if you can draw up a plan for them. They might have a good deal on wood as well since they probably have to import large quantitys to begin with.

Brian - Yes, my dad said he knows of a local wood-shop that does just that kind of thing. He said that if I drew up the plans they'd most likely do it, and I am going to go contact them.

However, they will not be able to make the guitar neck as it involves some tools and ideas that they'd not be familiar with - I wouldn't trust them if they said yes anyways.

I actually work at home depot, not sure we carry any of that kind of wood! I am going to call the wood-shop and see what they might have for wood, and if they would do this. I need to get full size graph paper.

What do you suggest for the neck Brian? I have not found anyone selling a symmetrical headstock neck that doesn't have a pre-fingerboard attachement.

Thanks!

If you contact a smaller company like USACG, they'll probably be able to custom-make one for you.

I'm confused about the fingerboard issue-- you say you want no fingerboard at all, but I suspect you just mean you don't want it inlayed?

Greg

I know I will need a routing saw (router) and a band saw -- Do I need table for both, are their "handheld" options? I have regular saws like circular.

DO you think there are any sources that could produce a symmetrical body with this shape, so that I might only need to do the routing?

Seems to me, you have your body shape well in your head. Why don't you draw it out on paper. (or Autocad if available to you. Search words "Autocad" on this site and see how you might get hold of copy. It's very handy to have during build.)

When happy with paper shape. Cut it out and stick it to piece of MFD. Cut it out with electrical saw and this will be your template. With router and template bit you can take body shape out of blank. (see multiple threads on this site, on this subject)

Read this:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...c=9113&hl=strat

You could have woodshop cut you down the body close to specs. You could do final routing yourself.

If your not completely comfortable with building your own neck, you could search for companies that finish complete necks. Sometimes they have option with paddle on end. Meaning you can cut out your own headstock shape.

It all depends what scale length you would like your guitar to have and how many frets. Strat type necks are a dime dozen. Ibanez type neck are more difficult to source and you might have to make your own, or go to more specialized builders.

Edited by RGGR

GregP - Some guitars do not use a seperate piece of wood for a fingerboard. They simply make the neck piece the "fretboard" by putting the frets directly onto that piece - this makes the neck look so much more beautiful as it is one piece of wood and not two. I prefer this look by far, it is not difficult, the calculations for the fingerboard area must be added to the dimensions of the neck piece.

Here is an example:

http://www.vigierguitars.com/gcatalog/GIcata/0Fret.JPG

Not too mention the "zero fret" which is a must!

GregP - On top of that, I did also mean no inlay markers - not even on the side of the neck. My guess is this is easier to do then to make a fingerboard, since it's less alignments.

If you contact a smaller company like USACG, they'll probably be able to custom-make one for you.

I'm confused about the fingerboard issue-- you say you want no fingerboard at all, but I suspect you just mean you don't want it inlayed?

Greg

Edited by MasterMinds

Sounds like a really good idea.

I am considering one unique possibiliity - rather than having holes cut out for the pickups, I may have one giant hole cut out covering the whole range of where the pickups could go - this will have a small screw in trim around it which lets me move pickups at will - in otherwords the pickup slots are gutted out like a grave, allowing for any setup.

This confused me, but still sounds really kool, hope to see some progress pics soon. :D