Foredom Tools And Stewmac

guitar_ed

Hi All,

I have been doing a bit of research on Dremel tools and Foredom tools, which are direct competitors. Broadly speaking, the Foredom tools are better than the Dremel tools, but also more expensive.

And StewMac sells a few tool fixtures (router and binding fixtures) that fit either Dremel or the Foredom tool set that they sell. It turns out that Foredom makes a handpiece specially for Stewmac that is threaded for the StewMac fixtures. And this handpiece fits all of the Foredom tools, not just the one sold by StewMac.

And I have found the higher end Foredom motors for less money than StewMac sells their Foredom tool, which is the entry level motor.

Guitar Ed

Where did you find them cheaper? I wouldnt say that they are direct competitors. The Foredom is mainly advertised as a wood carving tool from what I have seen whereas the Dremel (and other rotary tools) are marketed slightly differently. Either way, I think that for a guitar, the foredom might be a bit superior. I wouldnt want a dremel w/out the flex-shaft attachment.

Hi Jay,

They are sold/marketed differently, but with the Stewmac version Foredom of the handpiece, they can be used for some of the same jobs, namely as a router or for cutting binding channels.

And the Foredom seems to be a much more robust piece of equipment. If I were doing lots of bodies with binding, I would get a Foredom tool.

Guitar Ed