What Do You Think!

I think it looks killer. A product is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay. I'd build one\buy one, and I'm not even into pointy guitars all that much! :D

You really should ask what your friend\client wants in his guitar, the design of the body alone doesn't say enough about it.

BTW, what's that Latin translate to? Something about the devil, I know that much.

Edited by Kyle Cavanaugh

hehe..thanx a bunch =)

well..the latin text should be

animagus=resurection

corpus=body

satanicum=satan

Like "the resurection of satans body"

=)

Oh OK, I thought corpus was "corbus" Noclue what that means if it even is a word.

If he wants a Hetfield type sound (which Rythym Guitar and some Lead), here's what I can say. James uses EMG pickups (the things under the strings), an 81 model closest to the bridge and a 60 model closest to the neck in a mahoghany bodied six-string (there are cheaper alternatives if you are and\or he is strapped for cash). However, he might want two 81's if he's really into distorted stuff and leads mainly.

Edited by Kyle Cavanaugh

prolly alot of low play..

You might want heavier gauged strings, for normal or Drop D tuning I'd go with 46-10 sized strings, thicker strings if he wants to go a lot deeper. I use 56-12's on a guitar I tune C to C (instead of E to E).

For Scale length I'd go with 25.5 inches (about 637,5 MM as I'm sure you're Europeon). If you want the ability to use really low tunings with the lighter gauge strings, you could use a longer scale, like 700 MM or 28 inches.

It looks good, but.....

1. He will probably stick his arm on the lower horn. It appears to be maybe 1.5" away from the neck.

2. If that is a bolt on you have very little body remaining around the pocket. Looks like it may be pretty weak.

3. It looks like you neck & middle pickups will be partially into the carved edge of the body.

It is probably just a sketch, and a nice lookin one at that. I am sure you have actually thought about all the functional issues, and will deal with them when you make the real buildable drawing. Peace and good luck with it.

:D, Rich

thanx to all for the tips..i really need em right now =)

cus its not just my first guitar project..its a project i dont want to fail with..

a question..where is a good place to buy mahogany wood from in europe?

if there is a international online store somewhere..??

thanx again!

Hey, I'm the guitarplayer he's building it for.

What I've decieded on is:

25,5" scale

24 frets

tune-o matic

Bill Lawrence XL500 bridge PU and somekinda single coil in the neck prolly

I don't like picguards in general but thisone's gonna have one, in diamond plate. Prolly paint the guitar in satinblack also.

We live in Sweden. Don't know where to get mahogny but we can easy get our hands on good oak. Any ideas about oak? Good for guitars?

We live in Sweden. Don't know where to get mahogny but we can easy get our hands on good oak. Any ideas about oak? Good for guitars?

OOOO Spiky Black metal guitar!!!

I think the general opinion of Oak is that its good for firewood. Seriously I would consider using Ash as its a harder wood than mahogany and youll need all the strength you can get for a body that has very little mass to it.

Places to check for wood are ebay (most sellers will ship to sweden) or do some searching for cabinet makers, sawmills or timber suppliers in your homeland. Ive learned that finding a local wood supplier is a part of the process of building guitars.

Incidently, Some of those Neil Moser guitars were worked on by Brian Hoffman of Deicide fame (well hes not in Deicide any more!)

My suggestion would be to make the bottom cutout less deep--not the one by the horn, but the one where the leg would rest--and perhaps the top one as well. I'd also smooth out all the curves a little.

Oak, you say? Save it for a really nice cabinet. Go for mahogany if you can get it; alder, maple, poplar, and ash are other choices.

On a side note, have you ever seen a Gibson Voodoo finish? It'd look really good on this shape, and you can find out anything you need to know about doing it by searching the finishing section. This would work best over an ash body, but would also probably work over an ash or oak laminate top.

Anyone from Europe ever try Sycamore? JC, I've heard it's similar to Maple. Oak and Hard Ash have very similar grain pattern and similar density, but I think Oak might have a little more midrange to it. I think Ash is just an American tree. Oak is really heavy stuff and I'm not so sure if it's make a very good body soundwise. If you go this route, might want to consider routing some hollow chambers in it and giving it a top or a back to cover it up. This will reduce weight and increase it's ability to vibrate. Here's an example of what I mean, these guys have a neat method!

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/bodies/strat...on=strat_hollow

That guitar would have been PERFECT for the last band I was in!

You see ... the lead singer was rather spastic, and would always bump into me onstage. I would have loved to have the opportunity to jab him a few times with the sharp points on that guitar! :D