Jump to content

Crimson Swirl

Recommended Posts

Scott, Dave and LGM, could you explain a bit more specifically what it is you are talking about. I understand nothing. (That's probably because I'm stupid.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


There is an automotive Paint company called "House of Kolor".

They specialize in unique paint colors & technigues.

The Crimson swirl that you refer to is close to a technique that the House of Kolor has that is called "marbelizing"

The video that I have from them shows the step by step process & materials needed to achieve the finish. Although they show it on a car, It can easily be applied to a guitar body

It involves paint, plastic wrap, and a special solution called MARBELIZER that reacts wih the paint in a way that makes the paint look like marbel

The video tape is always up on e-bay, just look for "house of Kolor"

Or if you want, e-mail me & I can tell you how much my copy is (as I will be selling soon).

Hell, if Jeremy or Brian promise to do a tutorial, I will give them a free copy of the tape as well!!!

Hope this is a little more clear



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Or you can just go to your local well stocked book store and pick up a Debbie Travis home redecorating book. She has a finish in there for tables which sounds incredibly similar to what you're talking about. there's no earon it couldn't be done on a guitar.

Lots of other cool finishing techniques, too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

HOK stuff costs to much for the stupid name

Only in Canada bro :D Yeah I've seen complete cars done in that finish.

Yeah, that's true, but there are whole cars done in Chromallusion too. Doesnt' mean it's inexpensive paint. You price HOK stuff lately? It's almost double the cost of regular automotive paint.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll see what I can come up with without buying anything (shipping from the US to Sweden would cost as much as the HoK tape itself, I guess). Thanks a lot for the help.

Oh, and I'd be very interested in a tutorial on the matter, if anyone is willing to take the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This page will explain the basic technique:

Faux Finishes

If you have time (and perhaps some major tranquilizers), a day watching HGTV will probably give you more info on this technique than you ever wanted to know. Basically, a (usually) dark basecoat is covered with a semi-transparent "glaze" in a different color. Then the glaze, which dries very slowly, is removed in streaks with brushes, combs, feathers and/or a rag or crumpled palstic bag to reveal the base coat. Some faux stone techniques use 3 or more color coats. If I understand correctly, the HOK marbleizer is a transparent extender that allows ample time to smoosh the top coat - a combo of clear and retardant might work. My SO (either senior officer or significant other, take your pick) is a home decorating nut, and has done this with latex with some nice results. Search "faux finish" or "rag painting" for more info.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...