Random Interesting Guitar Stuff.

PatientZero

So I went to Barnes & Noble today to kill a few minutes waiting to pick my girl up from work. On a whim, I bought a book called "The EVERYTHING Rock and Blues Guitar Book". I was planning to do a little light reading. Now, I'm an information junkie, I'm also a little obsessive about guitars. I wasn't expecting to channel the spirit of Howlin' Wolf or anything, but GET THIS BOOK. I don't care if you've been playing for 30 years, I know you'll find something useful. It concentrates on Lead playing, and explains a ton of the black art of scales and soloing. It's also written so a total moron can understand, but its not condescending. A genius won't feel like he's being talked down to.

On another note, while doing some research at Guitar Center (which I like to think of as my own little library/laboratory/research and development theory), I almost talked myself into buying an affinity strat. For some sick reason, I felt myself drawn to it. I knew it was wrong, but it was like your best friend's hot mom. Sure its not the most normal thing, but she's HOT.

Greg-

You're welcome for the heads up. As far as the strat goes, I walked in and it was the first guitar that caught my eye. This amazing blue. Old school fat style headstock, and I'm a sucker for maple necks. So I picked her up. she just felt right. Normally I really don't care too much for the straight headstock on fenders, or the 25.5 scale, but it worked. I was expecting a laminate body on a squier, but nope, solid alder. I was just very impressed overall with the quality of this guitar. Normally, the difference between a Squier anything and an american standard is like the grand canyon, but there was not as much difference as I thought. So, on the off chance that it was a fluke, I went back today, and the same guitar was sitting there, so I put some cash on it until I can pick her up next payday. Overall, there was just something RIGHT about this strat. call it the X factor.

My 2 cents...

I've found that Squire has upped the quality of their instruments. Unfortunately their name still leaves a bad taste in people's mouths because they used to be super cheap quality guitars.

Some squiers use alder which I think is quality, but some use agathis, which I've always strayed from. The Affinity strats are decent and the only noticable thing I noticed about them is that the body is not nearly as thick (from trem plate to pickguard) as a regular Fender.

$150 is a bit pricey to spend on a low end guitar in my opinion. I would have used the my money to buy one off Ebay. But then again that x factor you speak of may only apply to just that one guitar...not all Affinity Strats.

Well rock on. I hope the guitar rocks your world and gives you a bit of inspiration!

I'm curious about the book- from reading reviews on Amazon, it appoears that the people who love this book don't know much about music theory,a dn found this book a good way to learn. Those who didn't like it already knew the theory and didn't find it helpful- and that would be my case. I know music theory very well, but could always use help learning to be a better soloist.

Do you think this book would be helpful for more than explaining music theory? If so then I'd be willing to check it out in more detail.