I Need Some

bio

Learn voodoo chile, but play it on a strat, nothing else, ever. Then, just start to listen to other people playing with a wah, you should be able to hear when its 'closed' and 'open' and simply copy whos you like better. Im just passing on what my teacher told me, it worked for me and i may work for you too.

IMO, Steve Vai has the best wah technique I've ever heard. He uses it to add a bit of flavor to the notes, rather than just as an effect. You have to listen, though.

yes, i love his use of his wah pedal, it's just so musical and sounds so right!

i'm more a fan of using subtle wah in a very musical way like steve does, than say using it in the usual effect wah wah wah wah way, not to say i don't enjoy that, it's just i find steve's use and the like more interesting to my ear.

(i know im asking for it but...)

shred shred shred

boring boring boring

i really thought i would like satch vai etc but i didnt, i listened to a couple songs thought " yeah they're amazing but i dont wanna here it again"

in my opinion its just blatent show off music for guitar geeks

i have yet to meet a person who likes it and doesnt play guitar

im not trying to start arguements (allthough its probably unavoidable)

but i cant be the only person who thinks this.

someone must agree.........somebody...........anybody...........

(i know im asking for it but...)

shred shred shred

boring boring boring

i really thought i would like satch vai etc but i didnt, i listened to a couple songs thought " yeah they're amazing but i dont wanna here it again"

in my opinion its just blatent show off music for guitar geeks

i have yet to meet a person who likes it and doesnt play guitar

im not trying to start arguements (allthough its probably unavoidable)

but i cant be the only person who thinks this.

someone must agree.........somebody...........anybody...........

i've got a few friends who don't play any instrument or show an interest in it, that like vai and petrucci. what the music is, is instrumental rock basically. take away the vocals and it's boring, so you have to account for the vocals with something else, that and steve is just such a great player/writer.

Edited by Sindlei

i've got a few friends who don't play any instrument or show an interest in it, that like vai and petrucci.  what the music is, is instrumental rock basically.  take away the vocals and it's boring, so you have to account for the vocals with something else, that and steve is just such a great player/writer.

its not the fact that its instrumental its just boring.

i could listen to orion or to live is to die all day

i love those songs they're so epic and full of emotion

all the shred ive heard is sterile and just drag on

that said i havent heard alot of it.

maybe you could suggest a song to change my mind?

Back on topic--

I can't possibly imagine any way to 'teach' wah. Some people just 'get it' right away, and some people take a bit more time before it clicks, but no kind of lesson will help you be a good wah player.

Gotta agree about the Voodoo Chile suggestion.

Funny, I was listening to Jeff Healey's "See the Light" on the radio today (weird that they played it...) and it's covered in wah, but I didn't enjoy his wah playing. Actually, come to think of it, his technique probably wasn't horrible, but I didn't like his tone.

Greg