Instrument Luthier Courses

Hi, basically I would like to do goto a few luthier schools (take note I do realise how much these cost) most likely starting early next year if I can afford to by then.

What I'd like to know is what schools/courses you would suggest I look into?

I live in the UK but I'm not ruling out something abroad...

My main intrest in building is solid bodied string instruments.

So do any of you have suggestions?

if you can do without the structure of an actual classroom look into stewart mcdonald's instructional books and video training courses. i've purchased several of their books and they're very good.

ah I never knew about baileys, I think that would make a good first course to do as an introduction to the process so I think I might be getting in contact with him, plus he mentions there are no real limits to what you build as long as it's practical :D

/smells an 8 stringer

I'd be interested in doing baileys>totness>luthier international

if I could fund it, thanks for putting me onto baileys though, that's exactly what I could do with right about now

ah I never knew about baileys, I think that would make a good first course to do as an introduction to the process so I think I might be getting in contact with him, plus he mentions there are no real limits to what you build as long as it's practical B)

I just noticed where you live....coals to Newcastle ! :D:DB):D

ah I never knew about baileys, I think that would make a good first course to do as an introduction to the process so I think I might be getting in contact with him, plus he mentions there are no real limits to what you build as long as it's practical B)

I just noticed where you live....coals to Newcastle ! :D:DB):D

www.baileyguitars.co.uk

Mark Bailey runs courses from his workshop in coventry i believe and they cost about £400 and up depending on the type of build you want to do. E-mail him for details as he is really cheap and quoted me aopproximately 1/3 of the price for a custom Gibson V than a few others did!

if you want a full time course and you live near london, Merton Collage do a 2 year course on Instrument repair and construction.

Other than thet, read books and do it yourself. Its not rocket science, but it is a learning process that will take over your life.