To Sell Or Not To Sell Ibanez Rg570?

The pics don't reinforce anything to me. Look at a Tom Anderson, or any Ibanez. Heck any quality instrument. The only time the studs aren't perfectly across on a guitar is when they're poorly installed. There's enough travel on any FR style bridge, but there's not enough travel on some TOM's and wrap-arounds. It's just an idea you're going to have to mature out of. A two fulcrum unit operates properly when installed perpendicularly, and that's about it. Especially an OFR that has the identical knife edge cutouts on each side. Some bridges have a round cutout and a flat one. But that's just so the factory stud spacing doesn't have to be perfect. The distance into the baseplate is the same.

I'm always happy to be wrong but I'm not wrong on this one. If anyone can show me something "real" instead of homemade templates, etc. then fine. I used to do R&D for the Cort guitar factory, and they make all the Korean Ibanez/Fender/etc. I've seen a lot of blueprints. Your insistance befuddles me.

Whoa, hang on to the sanity bus, Frank. That's just what I've heard. If you've heard different, cool, thanks for the explanation. No need to get your panties in a wedge. For some reason some older instruments I've seen have had an angle on the Floyd because there wasn't enough adjustment range in the Low-E saddle. The posts were offset by only a millimeter or two, so it wasn't a huge angle. That's just how it was explained to me.

Sorry if I offended Mr. Cort.

Maybe I am just bonkers, and I haven't really thought this through, but wouldn't having a device that pivots like a tremolo set on an angle be a bit.... I dunno... wrong? Like its all good for a fixed bridge like a Tune-O-Matic... but for a tremolo that pivots?

It just doesn't seem right in my head :D Like it would almost pull more on one side than the other?

meh... :D

- Dan

Maybe I am just bonkers, and I haven't really thought this through, but wouldn't having a device that pivots like a tremolo set on an angle be a bit.... I dunno... wrong?  Like its all good for a fixed bridge like a Tune-O-Matic... but for a tremolo that pivots?

It just doesn't seem right in my head :D Like it would almost pull more on one side than the other?

meh... :D

- Dan

yeah the more you pivot constantly, the knife-edge will slip towards the neck, unless the knife edges are grooved. but still

The pics don't reinforce anything to me. Look at a Tom Anderson, or any Ibanez. Heck any quality instrument. The only time the studs aren't perfectly across on a guitar is when they're poorly installed. There's enough travel on any FR style bridge, but there's not enough travel on some TOM's and wrap-arounds. It's just an idea you're going to have to mature out of. A two fulcrum unit operates properly when installed perpendicularly, and that's about it. Especially an OFR that has the identical knife edge cutouts on each side. Some bridges have a round cutout and a flat one. But that's just so the factory stud spacing doesn't have to be perfect. The distance into the baseplate is the same.

I'm always happy to be wrong but I'm not wrong on this one. If anyone can show me something "real" instead of homemade templates, etc. then fine. I used to do R&D for the Cort guitar factory, and they make all the Korean Ibanez/Fender/etc. I've seen a lot of blueprints. Your insistance befuddles me.

Actually.... you are wrong. I used to work for the Gibson factory who very rarely uses Floyds, but when they were used they were almost always crooked. The reason for this is to compensate for the F spacing of the bridge verses the more narrow pole spacing on Gibson pickups. Instead of Gibson shelling out tons of cash for F spaced pickups they SLIGHTLY angled the Floyd to align the strings over the polepieces. That is a fact!!! and I have plenty of pics if needed. Not all Gibsons were mounted crooked, but most. Some of em' actually got lucky and wound up straight, but the strings never lined up with the poles. Of course, they rarely do anyway... but that's a whole different can of worms.

As for pics... here's one I grabbed off ebay while at work.

5d_1_b.jpg

Okay,so it seems that you're agreeing that it shouldn't be that way. I mean they're not who I'd look to for proper Floyd installation, because Gibson, by your words "very rarely uses Floyds." And if they angled the bridge just to line the strings up with pole pieces, that sure seems like a poorly made decision. But also a decision to accomodate what they thought was a special situation, putting a Floyd on a guitar that didn't normally come with one. I'm saying that any guitar designed for a Floyd will be straight across.

I'm still having a hard time with the logic, though, because you don't get any real string space narrowing with just a 2-4 degree pitch. In order to angle it enough to narrow the string spacing, each string would then rub against the string groove in the saddle. So it's either an example of total design failure, or poor stud placement by the factory workers. Which is kind of implied by your statement that some wound up straight anyway.

But at least you'd agree that mounting it straight would've been the "right" way to do it. Right?

Funny, I was looking for examples all over the net of some guitars that had the Floyd installed crooked and I ran across the new Neal Schon sig Les Paul. The Floyd is installed straight, not crooked, so maybe they're using F-spaced pickups now? Either that or Gibson is just installing them correctly now.

Frank, I agree that it always sounded strange whenever someone told me that the Floyd had to be installed crooked. I just figured the licensees fixed the problem because I never saw it on any other bridge other than an Original Floyd Rose. Not even on the FR II or Pro systems.

Man, we've really hijacked this guy's thread...

That's okay because I think he posted the same thread at Jemsite and already decided to fix up the guitar when he has the time. They stayed on topic over there. :D

yeah that was me with my other internet username. :D

I already ordered a pair of new studs from rich. should be here...... now I just have to go out and get a pair of vice grips and yank that thing out..... and actually dedicate some time setting it up

now I just have to go out and get a pair of vice grips and yank that thing out

I hope you mean screw that thing out....... cause if trem stud anker is still in good nick.....there is no need to get that thing out. You might only have to replace the actual stud.

now I just have to go out and get a pair of vice grips and yank that thing out

I hope you mean screw that thing out....... cause if trem stud anker is still in good nick.....there is no need to get that thing out. You might only have to replace the actual stud.

yeah i mean screwing it out but the tip (where the allen wrench fits) is broken so I can't screw it out anymore.