3m Stikit Gold Sheet Rolls From Autobodysupply.net

rocksolid

www.autobodysupply.net has 3m gold sheet rolls in the following grits

my question is, which grits of this abrasive would you recommend to the average hobby-time builder, even though they are good sandpaper they're a bit expensive to buy them all, but in comparison to other dealers they are cheap, autobodysupply.net sells them for 34.85 a roll

www.autobodysupply.net has 3m gold sheet rolls in the following grits

my question is, which grits of this abrasive would you recommend to the average hobby-time builder, even though they are good sandpaper they're a bit expensive to buy them all, but in comparison to other dealers they are cheap, autobodysupply.net sells them for 34.85 a roll

These guys are a little cheaper and very helpful.

http://www.autobodydepot.net/scripts/depot...pgm=3m170-4.bbx

3-M makes good stuff but it tends to be, IMHO, grossly overpriced.

The only 3-M that I routinely use is the grey Tri-m-ite for rubbing out finish in between coats. Oh, I also use Scotch-brite.

Klingspore has comparable quality at much better pricing. They have a pretty good website.

Mirka also makes good abrasives, including Abralon and Abranet, which are pricey but amazing. Abralon is incredible for sanding finish. Abranet is likewise for doing the woodworking part.

I just went to my sandpaper cabinet and looked.

Mirka and Klingspore 5 and 6 inch disks 36, 80, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220.

Mirka Abralon disks 360, 500, 600

3M Tri-m-ite sheet sandpaper 220, 280

Klingspore waterproof sheets 400, 600, 900

Mirka sheet 120, 150, 180

3-M Scotch brite maroon, grey, white

I don't sand as finely as a lot of folks here do. But, then I probably use a cabinet scraper a lot more than most. I also use a Festool radom orbit sander which absolutely kicks the butt of everthing but a Dynabarade. Oh, that's just an opinion.

It depends on the finish you plan on spraying over top. The thicker the finish the courser the final grit before finishing. We shoot polyester. The manufacture recommends nothing finer than 180. We go to 220 because we haven't figured out how to keep the 180 grit scratches from appearing under the finish.

A nice alternative to the 3M Stikit Rolls is from Grizzly. They work just as good as the ones Stew Mac sells, in my opinion that is, and I've used both before. Here is the link?. I've got the 240, 320, 400, and 600 grit of the Grizzly adhesive Gold Rolls, and I use them all, It just depends on what job I'm doing.

240- Best for Fretboard fast leveling, wood sanding, and fast Fret removal.

320- Best for Fretboard smoothing, wood sanding, and Fret leveling for less agressive removal.

400- For removing the 320 scratches, fret polishing

600- For removing the 400 grit scratches, etc.

They are cheaper and worth the money. If you have money to blow, then get the 3m it just seems to stick a little better and last a little bit longer, but for the price it's not worth the difference really.

Just my 2 cents...

MaTT Vinson