Clear

dooods,

so as a present for one of my brothers, everyone in my faternity signed a black cheapo strat in silver sharpie. What would you guys recomend to clear and seal it so none of the sigs rub off? Thanks.

-Vadim

As long as laquer won't pull the base coat, you can intomb the sharpie stuff with many many dust coats of lacquer making sure that they're all dry in between. Once you have a good multicoat foundation you can hose it down for build.

Yeah, i was worried about the smearing so i figured something in the way of rattlecans would be suggested. There are alot of finishing tutorials floating around both this forum and projectguitar.com. Problem is that I have never done any finishing outside of woodshop in 7th grade and don't know which of the methods to use. Also, all the tutorials start out with a surface that ya don't have to worry about smudging. I assumed there would be some sequence of apply/sand back steps to build up a clear coat. Any help would be greatly appreciated as he is graduating soon. Thanks again for your help.

-Vadim

Yeah, i was worried about the smearing so i figured something in the way of rattlecans would be suggested. There are alot of finishing tutorials floating around both this forum and projectguitar.com. Problem is that I have never done any finishing outside of woodshop in 7th grade and don't know which of the methods to use. Also, all the tutorials start out with a surface that ya don't have to worry about smudging. I assumed there would be some sequence of apply/sand back steps to build up a clear coat. Any help would be greatly appreciated as he is graduating soon. Thanks again for your help.

-Vadim

I would just spray it with clear rattlecan paint form depot.

spray- spray- wetsand (600 grit)

spray- spray- wetsand (600 grit)

as many times as desired (I'd do at least 3 passes). then you can get a good polishing compound. Stewart Macdonald.com has some good stuff, but it is expensive na dyou will barely use any for one guitar.

Someone else might know of a cheaper polish.

You can always get some wet sand papers up to like 10,000 grit that would be cheaper.