Ts-9dx

ROBERTLATHAM1

hey guys

bought the ts-9dx still stock no mods yet. if i run it by itself guitar ts-9 amp it sounds great but if i put it in front or behind my rp-3 digitech it sounds like sh--!

i dont know im thinking it might be something to do with the analog to digital signal process in the digitech and if im right about this what do i do to fix it!

no joe the rp-3 digitech is a digital multi effects processor. i go from guitar to ts-9dx to marshall it sounds great but if i put the effects processor in at any point in front of the ts-9 or behind the ts-9 or in the effects loop my sound goes to the bone pile. if i use the rp-3 effects processor alone it sounds great but the two togather just sound like crap!

the rp 3 is a multi effect unit isnt it?

i sometimes run my stompboxes with my ax1500g multi effects

it takes some time to dial in a good sound and using the conventional effects ordering helps eg wah before anything, dist before chorus etc

that said tubescreamers are great pedals and most multi effects have a large array of **** effects so the rp 3 could possibly swallow the tone of the ts resulting in dissapointing results

You're better off not using the tubescreamer with the RP-3. It will sound like crap no matter what you do.

I use an A/B box to select between my stompboxes and my processor. With cheaper effects units like the RP-3 or even my Boss GT-3, it's tough if not near impossible to get a clean sound when mixed with analog effects, especially mild overdrives like the TS-9.

I use an A/B box to select between my stompboxes and my processor.

Bingo! This is what I used to do for a while. It works much better that way. My experience is that as soon as you mix a digital FX processor with a stompbox(es), the tone goes to hell in a hurry. If I had to guess as to the reason why, I would say that it's probably due to impedance issues. Not to mention the fact that these digital processors make everything sound like it's in a cavern - it's not hard for things to get washed out... :D

Yeah, the only effect I've ever had luck mixing with a processor was a Morley wah pedal.

With the cheaper processors, I suspect that the A/D/A converters are the weak link and sending that choppy signal through stompboxes is going to kill an already deteriorating tone. I usually just run the processor through the effects loop of my amp and the stompboxes in front of the amp's preamp anymore. The signal going through the processor doesn't mesh well with the preamp, either.

You're better off not using the tubescreamer with the RP-3. It will sound like crap no matter what you do.

I use an A/B box to select between my stompboxes and my processor. With cheaper effects units like the RP-3 or even my Boss GT-3, it's tough if not near impossible to get a clean sound when mixed with analog effects, especially mild overdrives like the TS-9.

how do you get the two independent signals into the same input on the amp.

i understand the chain to that point.

guitar

a\b box

a b

stompboxes processor

amp but at this point my amp only has one input!

but at this point my amp only has one input!

Here is what I made specifically for this purpose: http://www.diyguitarist.com/PDF_Files/LooperSchem.pdf

IMO, an A/B box seems to be better suited for taking one guitar and switching between two amps or being used an an external bypass box. As in this diagram: http://www.diyguitarist.com/PDF_Files/ABY-Wiring.pdf

HTH.

but at this point my amp only has one input!

Here is what I made specifically for this purpose: http://www.diyguitarist.com/PDF_Files/LooperSchem.pdf

IMO, an A/B box seems to be better suited for taking one guitar and switching between two amps or being used an an external bypass box. As in this diagram: http://www.diyguitarist.com/PDF_Files/ABY-Wiring.pdf

HTH.

lmao! you know i sat and thought aboout it after i started this post and came up with the same thing as your looper circuit, but useing a manual push button switch with 2 n.o contacts and 2 n.c. contacts and i think this is the way im gona go for now we will see how well it works lmao!

Maybe someone could suggest a good overdrive that doesn't cut back guitar input volume, add to amp/guitar background noise and drain batteries?

Well, unfortunately, all stompboxes will add some amount of noise and run down batteries. A well designed circuit will add minimal noise, but extremely high gain pedals will add a certain amount of noise no matter how well designed they are. What they shouldn't do is decrease your volume level when engaged.

Anyhow, these digital processors can be very noisy if you bypass the noise gate that they often use. There's pros and cons for everything... :D