String Spacing

I am almost sure that this has probably been asked more then 1000 times but i really didnt understand it so could any of you write an answer in reaaaly easy terms? :D

After a little discussion with some people on here ive decided to go ahead with the purchase of a Floyd Rose...

Ive noticed when i went to go buy one on E-bay... it often mentions the string spacing... I dont know which one i need :D No doubt im being stupid...

So... Spose the question is.. Which size string spacing do i need? obviously once i know what size i can also go out and get the locking nut etc but its the string spacing size at the bridge...

Thanks for your help

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Singles or humbuckers or P90s or something else? Tele or Strat or something else?

BTW: I am not a FR expert, so I don't know. But, I would assume (note the word assume) that a FR is Strat spaced, singles and Fender HBs. But that is a guess.

Guitar Ed

floyds are f-spaced.

I think the nut measurements are going to be different though. There are also locking nut varieties for bullet style truss rod adjustments too.

The Floyd bridge end is the easy part, or so I thought. Seems like the strings are about a 15" radius or something. You can't adjust that or the string spacing at the bridge.

Keep in mind that I have not bought a Floyd in several years. Unless things have drastically changed, I thought the nut was the critical part to get right.

There's also the issue of the width of the neck too, right? I mean, I just sold a strat copy body  I had here --the neck is much narrower than your average size strat...I wanted to fit a standard strat bridge to it, but it wouldn't work.

That is what i thought... i presumed the different widths of the neck would alter the size of the trem... Also said.. the nut.. that surely also has to be correct otherwise it is useless?

~~ Slain Angel ~~

I had been meaning to ask a similar question (that may help you as well..).

On the Floyd Rose Website it says the Low Profile version has a smaller string spacing... why is that? I have a Warmoth guitar that was created with the required routing for a recessed OFR and an R4 locking nut... does this mean that one or the other is more suited to my guitar? I mean I dont have much experienced with either the original or the lowpro version, so I don't mind which one I go with in the end, but it would be nice to know if I even have a choice :D

- Dan