Nec Finish: Polyhurethane

Hi, I've finishing a the back of a neck (mahogany) in 3 thin coats of spray on poly (glossy). I've waited 48 hours and the neck is still a little sticky. Is this normal for Poly? Will it go away?

I know Nitro takes forever for the sticky feeling to go away, but is normal for Poly to feel a bit sticky at the beginning?

it is normal for any paint to be a bit sticky until it fully cures.

48 hours is not nearly enough.give it at least 2 weeks or you will regret it

It's not paint, it's " automotive clear gloss" (not nitro, poly).

:D If the clear is for a car then you might not have put enough hardner in it. Automotive clearcoat requires a hardner and you will wait forever on it to dry unless you put enough hardner......

I've used polyurethane clear (hi gloss) in both rattlecan and paintable (well, sponge applicator) forms. I found that the rattlecan stuff dries in the same timeframe, depends on temp/humidity conditions, but naturally an area with good air circulation works best. It also depends on how thick you lay it down. I've learned to take my time and find other things to do between applications. But I generally do about 3 shoots over the course of an hour. I prefer to use the sponge applicator for flat level surfaces. The stuff spreads out like a sheet of glass in one thick coat. Then leave it alone for at least a couple weeks. :D

it is normal for any paint to be a bit sticky until it fully cures.

48 hours is not nearly enough.give it at least 2 weeks or you will regret it

It's not paint, it's " automotive clear gloss" (not nitro, poly).

it's paint around my part of the world.how else would you describe a general overview of any color,any clear that you might put on a guitar body?

would you have been happier if i had said "plasticised coating"?

out of a rattlecan it takes the "plasticised coating" longer to fully cure than what the can actually reccomends.that is why guitar building either takes patience or enough money to buy the multi part polys

DEFT is nitro and my neck was painted and after 3 days colrsanded polished and slapped on the body with mo "sticky" feel what so ever. (So the concept that NItro takes for ever to cure is a missconception, it depends how thick and the time between coats you do). I think that you lay the paint to thick, I did this with duplicolor clear and it took months (about 6 ) to get the tacky feel from it.

Nope, the Deft is just superfast drying. I've sprayed it and some automotive clear from cans just about at the same time. The deft was rock hard after 2 days, and the automotive clear has just (as of yesterday) gotten hard enough to buff out. That's about forty-some odd days. I didn't adjust my spraying style for the deft, I sprayed it the same if not slightly thicker.