Is This An Explosion Proof Fan?

jay5

So I figure that if I am considering buying a decent compressor setup I should at least look at what it would entail to build some sort of deticated spray area. I found these fans online and I was wondering if these are the "explosion proof" fans everyone talks about?

Explosion Proof Fan?

Look at the motor specs. That motor is a TE. That be totally enclosed. A TEFC is totally enclosed fan-cooled and a TEXP is totally enclosed explosion proof. Myself, I would use any TE fan that does not have a belt for painting. IMHO IMHO IMHO

If your paint setup explodes while you're painting a body, don't you have slightly larger problems than your fan; for instance, a minor lack of limbs?

The "explosion proof fan" does NOT mean that the fan can withstand an explosion...

It means it will not cause an explosion....

Almost the same, but not quite.

:D

Ah... my bad. :D

Okay, then, with that in mind what about a paint setup would cause a fan to explode?

The fan doesn't explode.. it causes an explosion.. a normal motor has brushes in it that make electrical contact with the spinning components.. if you look inside you'll see sparks.. take a drill, press the trigger and watch the sparks in the backside of it..

in a paint booth you have a build up of explosive fumes, your fan sparks and kaboom..

it's not something that happens everyday but it is a real danger and people have certainly lost more than just limbs in such explosions..

No, "normal" fan motors do not have brushes and yes, explosion-proof motors blow up. There has to be a source of ignition and a flammable atmosphere. A TE or TEFC motor with no belt stands no chance of igniting paint fumes if everything is as it should be. Most controlled-eviron. blasts occur when the fans are not started at the very beginning of a volitale session. That or lack of maintenence. A good TEXP motor is nothing more than a TE with a gas-tight wiring connection.

Truly, The cheapest and safest approch is to keep the fan motor and conduits/wiring out of the explosive environment. If you do not use proper explosion proof seal offs, at the correct locations. In conjunction with devices rated for this application. Gases can collect in the conduits and effectively turn into pipe bombs. Same thing holds true for light fixtures, switches, etc... or anything that can become a source for ignition. Just don't put them in the space and you will do much better. Doc's got the good advice. IMHO

Peace, Rich

That is REAL close to right. The motor located in the yucky, explosive area is not the problem because split-phase motors don't have brushes and don't get hot enough to light off vapors. Belts are a problem because they have to be static-conductive to prevent sparks and they have to enter and exit the yuck area somewhere and that somewhere is where you will have problems. I you are trying to come up with a good, safe alternative to a $750.00 exproof fan assy., put a 1/4" tubing fitting into your junction box on the fan motor and run 1 PSIG of clean air straight from your compressor to it the entire time the fan is on. This will prevent the buildup of explosive vapors in your motor, wiring and junction boxe. Just remember, it is your primary duty to make sure that air is flowing before you introduce any bad stuff.

So Dr., would I be asking for trouble with this setup?

This TE Fan mounted inside an MDF Box with a filter over the opening? I am thinking of constructing a 6'X6' PVC frame and covering it with heavy mil plastic. That would essentially be my poor man's spray booth. I would then insert my "exhaust box" on the back wall and start apraying. I appreciate all your info, I'm just wondering if I'm on the right track or not.

I would then insert my "exhaust box" on the back wall and start apraying.

Jay5, if you have to start "a-praying" every time you start painting, perhaps your spray booth isn't as safe as it should be. :D

Actually, I have nothing productive to add, but I just couldn't let that pun go.

That is REAL close to right. The motor located in the yucky, explosive area is not the problem because split-phase motors don't have brushes and don't get hot enough to light off vapors.

True, but I know for a fact that most of us home builders will be on single phase, well in the UK anyway, don't know how the rest of you work.

What I was going to say about all the explosion proof fans that I've had dealings with is that there is often a (I think it's) copper coating on the metal surfaces of the stator. So that if the rotor flys off it still doesn't creat sparks.

You're 100% right. I was thinking of something else :D .

Split phase motors are where the stator windings are split into a minimum of 2 offset by 180 degrees and power alternates between them. Therefore........blah blah.

I was thinking of some of the BIG stuff I've delt with, I'm now off to bang my head on the wall and die in shame :D