Need Your Opinion

I am currently trying to decide if i should put a clear finish on this guitar or give it a full paint job...

body.jpg

That is my current project i am working on and cannot decide between a Dark blue/Black sunburst finish or just to keep to the orignal wood finish...

What do you people think? i know it should be my choice but ive spent a fair few days thinking and still cant decide :D

Thanks

~~ Slain Angel ~~

P.s Dont be to harsh on my guitar... its my first project so be kind hehe

i would personally go with a blue/black burst (mainly cuz thats my fav finish  ). and should cover up any imperfections.

BigT

That was one of the main reasons i beleived i should go with the burst finish... There are many imperfections on the body which annoy me...

Im proud of it for my first go but if i do it again theres many things id change...

Anyone else got an opinion on which finish i should use

~~ Slain Angel ~

I would go with the burst because, no offense, but that body is kinda crappy looking like that. Lots of imperfections. But awsome job for a first go.

No offense taken :D

I know that there are a lot of imperfections and that is why i was urged towards a burst finish but i dunno... it just seems to be that from a lil distance (that of which i play my gigs to crowd) it looks so nice like that.. and well see this is where i have my problem deciding lol! :D

Thanks for your help so far...

Any more ideas?

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Well.... From a distance it might look ok - but from distance I might look handsome! :D I think that with the work you've put into it so far you might as well go the distance. If you are really in the mindset that it is a "first" guitar than you might as well stretch it and see what you can accomplish. The woodwork and jointery looks decent from the picture, so why not embelish it a little and really make it stand out. Just my opinion, but I think you could take a lemon of a finish and make something really sweet out of it.

Nate Robinson :D

Well.... From a distance it might look ok - but from distance I might look handsome! :D I think that with the work you've put into it so far you might as well go the distance.  If you are really in the mindset that it is a "first" guitar than you might as well stretch it and see what you can accomplish.  The woodwork and jointery looks decent from the picture, so why not embelish it a little and really make it stand out. Just my opinion, but I think you could take a lemon of a finish  and make something really sweet out of it.

Nate Robinson    :D

I think now i will go with the burst finish... 3 people have now said that i should probably go for it and so... aaah ill go for it B)

Ill post pictures of her when shes done BUT it wont be for a long time since ive got my GCSE's (final exams) this month so guitar work is being put on hold!

Thanks for all your help

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Join the club, ive got my standard grades (scotish final exams) i can only put in about 1hour work om my guitar a day, as aposed to the 6-8 i was doing 3weeks ago. Im doing a burst using the poormans burst tut on the mainsite, it might even get done today, if i have time to get paint.

Join the club, ive got my standard grades (scotish final exams) i can only put in about 1hour work om my guitar a day, as aposed to the 6-8 i was doing 3weeks ago. Im doing a burst using the poormans burst tut on the mainsite, it might even get done today, if i have time to get paint.

Exactly the position im in... ive decided not to do an hour a day but to wait and start work on it at the end of exams :D

Ahh im also doing the poor mans burst....

Ahh well talk to you all soon

~~ Slain Angel ~~

I don't know, I can't see the pics now, but Itook a look yesterday, If you manage to clean the top realy good, were you can see the wood nice, then go with the burst. The last thing you want it to see any faults thru a clear paint. It will be as nice with a solid color, and if you are not happy with the wood orientation or finish, it will be a better idea to go solid than with a burst.

Last if you want a burst you can also do it over a solid color, there is no rules set that you have to do it in a transparent color base. I kinda did that here with a green pearl base and a teal burst over the edge on bare ash, since it had a lot of worm holes to be good enough for a transparent finish. Here is the guitar finished.

I don't know, I can't see the pics now, but  Itook a look yesterday, If you manage to clean the top realy good, were you can see the wood nice, then go with the burst.  The last thing you want it to see any faults thru a clear paint. It will be as nice with a solid color, and if you are not happy with the wood orientation or finish, it will be a better idea to go solid than with a burst.

Last if you want a burst you can also do it over a solid color, there is no rules set that you have to do it in a transparent color base. I kinda did that here with a green pearl base and a teal burst over the edge on bare ash, since it had a lot of worm holes to be good enough for a transparent finish.  Here is the guitar finished.

Hey Maiden69!!

Yeh it seems the majority has spoken and yes burst finish is the way forward...

I was contemplating doing the body in a solid colour but went away from the idea... if i did the body in a solid colour i would do it a ** really ** dark purple :D

Thanks for all your comments

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Hmm time for an update i beleive!

spent the last few nights working on the body to make sure its ready for finishing (smoothing it off etc) and to my amazement.. its come up a lot better... after a bit more sanding, it now looks so much nicer that i am definitly going with the clear finish

Ill try and post some pics a.s.a.p!

~~ Slain Angel ~~