My First Selfbuilt Guitar Almost Finished

Last nite i finally put strings on my first guitar that I self had built. The guitar is not finished yet, electronics are missing, nut is still lose and the coating needs to be cleaned. I just could not resist trying how the guitar sounds and if it would play at all.. And yes it did play!:D I am more than happy how the guitar sounded without pickups.

I have been building this and a Les Paul shaped guitar for about 8 months now in my small basement workshop. Since myy budget is running very low, i decided to finnish this one first and wait to next autumn. I have messed up many times with this project, but everytime i have managed somehow to minimize the damage. Almost every possible stage has been done twice. I glued the fretboard indings twice, I needed to paint the guitar twice and so on..

I think the painting now looks pretty wild since I first stained the mahoganny body with gray stain. Then I filled the grains with red colour and sanded the filling away. By accident i sanded through the filling, acquer and stain. I thought it looked nice and decided to sand the edges of the body through to wood.

Here's the guitar:

DSC02018.jpg

Here is picture of the guitar body when the filling was put on.

Heres the guitar from the back when sanding away the first paint:

Neck Joint.

As I already said, I still have lots of work to do with the guitar, but now I can be pretty confident, that the guitar will be quite fine. I decided to try to do the pick-Up rings of mahoganny and do some wild shaping on them. The thrus rod cover on the head stock will be done f the rosewood that was left over from the fretboard.

For the bridge pick-up I have bought a Kent Armstrong Mothrebucker, and as the neck pick-up I decided to use an old dimarzio pick-up I had in my drawer. I have thouht to put a second 3-way switch to the guitar which is used to controll the KA pick-up. On this case I would really appreciate if someone could help me. The wiring instructions that came with the pick-up showed a situation where the motherbucker only needed 3 switches! :D Guitar full of switches is not cool! I would like to control the motherbucker so that when the 3-way switch is in back position, both of the two humbuckers in motherbucker would be active. When in center position only the front humbucker would be active and when in front position, only on half of the front humbucker would be active.. Can anyone say if this is even possible, or even better could anyone give me the wiring instructions on this kind of setup?

Thanks to everyone who has been writing to this forum. I have been here almost everyday since I found this forum and gained lots of valuable information about building guitars and guitars in general. Without this forum i would propably not begun my guitarbuilding hobby.

Hey man From what I can see It looks realy good!!

One thing That I think that would make this guitar totally KILL (IMHO)

flat black pickupcovers from Stewmac They give your pick up's that EMG look :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Hey man From what I can see It looks realy good!!

One thing That I think that would make this guitar totally KILL (IMHO)

flat black pickupcovers from Stewmac They give your pick up's that EMG look :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Thanks Matt!

I just came up from my basement workshop. I made the thrusrod cover. It turned out pretty nice.. But guess what. I managed to mess it up AGAIN :D When drilling the screw holes to it, the drill split a small piece out of the rosewood... Luckily a bit of glue and some sanding will fix this mistake :D

About the pick-ups. I was actually planning to put the covers on, butt the salesman told me that it was not possible to put covers on a motherbucker.. So I'll have to think again if i put a cover on the neck pick-up.

Well man there's a few things You could do

1. Just drill out the hole's for the adjustable pole pieces I've done this a few times And It came out OkISH I did not like the look of it

the adjustable poles sat realy low in the cover so I just raised them up and They came out Looking beter

2. It works just fine If you put the covers over them You just lose the ability to raise the adjustable pole pieces with out removing the cover!

!!METAL MATT!! :D

MM-MMHD.jpg

Ok I see your pic Is not working but If it's like this one Im not sure why You could

not use The covers :D

But what the Hell It should look good all the same! :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

:D Sorry about that---------------MY DOOF :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

The lower horn doesn't look deep enough to get to the higher frets, just my opinion.

Dude, there's tonnes of upper fret clearance, especially because there's really no heel. It's going to be much easier to get at those frets than it is on many many guitars. :D

'Sides, upper fret access is very highly overrated. :D

Greg