Neck Refinishing

I was looking for opinions on what to finish the neck in for that satin feeling. Also how do i mask the fretboard or frets without that paint line where the masking wil be placed. Should I mask the neck at the binding, or scuff(3m pad) the binding after finishing to smooth the transition?

If you finish over the binding you might experience some yellowing with age, depending on what you use. Defthane is a great rattle can satin. I would mask the fretboard top, having the masking tape go over each fret like a speedbump. So the finish will get on the binding and the fret ends. Then you go along with some 600 grit and clean your fret ends off, as well as any finish burrs at the edge of the board. It's kind of like re-dressing your fret ends. If you remove a little finish at the top corner of the binding that's fine.

If you do an oil finish then don't get it on the binding. I mean it's not harmful if you do, but I'm saying its not like you want to "oil finish" the binding. You're just after the wood if you're doing an oil finish.