A Few Questions About Restringing...

I consider myself to be alright at changing strings. I change them usually once a month, so I've had a fair bit of practise getting it down. However, over the last few days I've read some stuff on the internet that has made me question how I restring my guitar, and I've got a few questions...

Here's my method for changing strings (in an ideal situation!) first:

(Starting with the bottom string)

- Detune the string until it is very slack

- Lift the string off the neck, and unwind it from the capstan.

- Pull (with a little force!) the string through the tuner, and then push it through the bridge out the back of the guitar

- Pull the string through the back of the guitar (with a little force!) until it is completely removed

*** Repeated for all other strings until the guitar has no strings on it ***

(Starting with the bottom string again)

- Carefully thread the new string through the back of the guitar until the ball end is snug in the back of the bridge

- Lay the string through the correct slot in the nut

- Pinch the string near the bridge (lightly, so as not to crimp it) and slide my fingers up the string to the nut, to remove any extra slack

- Wind the string around the bottom of the tuning post (different numbers of times depending on what the string is) and then thread it through the hole

- Tune the string up to pitch

- Stretch the string lightly at about the 12th fret

- Retune etc.

*** Repeated for all other strings until the guitar is restrung ***

Q1) Some people recommend restringing one string at a time. This seems stupid to me; how do guitar techs polish frets or clean necks with all the strings on? Is it really necessary to take replace them one at a time to keep tension on the neck, or is it just a rumour? Anyone had anything bad happen because they took all the strings off?

Q2) Should I snip off the neck end of the string (which is quite twisted) to stop it scratching the headstock and bridge when I pull it through?

Q3) I read that winding the string like that produces the most downward pressure at the nut possible, so the string will stay in tune better. Is this correct? Will using a trem after winding the strings like that make them more likely to get caught at the nut?

Q4) Are there any changes you would recommend to my method apart from the above questions?

Phew, that was a long one.

I appreciate that there are several different methods for restringing, and I'm just wondering if there is anything bad/wrong about the way I'm doing it at the moment, or if there is anything I can improve on.

Thanks for the input :D

Q1) Some people recommend restringing one string at a time. This seems stupid to me; how do guitar techs polish frets or clean necks with all the strings on? Is it really necessary to take replace them one at a time to keep tension on the neck, or is it just a rumour? Anyone had anything bad happen because they took all the strings off?

I always pull all the strings off the guitar to clean the fretboard and do any other little bits of maintenance. I don't think I would want to own a guitar that screws up after taking the strings off. :D I've owned quite a few guitars, basses and banjos and have NEVER had any problems when pulling all the strings off. Definitely an old wive's tale and don't let anyone tell you different.

Q2) Should I snip off the neck end of the string (which is quite twisted) to stop it scratching the headstock and bridge when I pull it through?

I always cut the little curly-cues off the used strings before ripping them out thru the back of the body or thru a stop tailpiece. Not only to avoid scratching things, its just easier and safer. I've had them snap out and stab my hand a few times. But not all guitars are built the same. One guy couldn't understand that I could re-install used strings on my Hagstrom, a top loader. :D Just because he owned a strat he assumed everyone else had one when talking about guitars.

Q3) I read that winding the string like that produces the most downward pressure at the nut possible, so the string will stay in tune better. Is this correct? Will using a trem after winding the strings like that make them more likely to get caught at the nut?

I usually give about 3 winds around the post for wound strings and maybe 5 for unwound. More to avoid any potential slipping. Downward pressure is better but most guitars are designed with the post below the level of the nut (angled headstock) or have string trees (strat), cross bar (Hagstrom) etc. anyway so I wouldn't worry about a few mm's. So long as the nut slots are well lubed with graphite there shouldn't be any major problems with using a trem.

Q4) Are there any changes you would recommend to my method apart from the above questions?

I see no problem(s) with your methods, pretty much what I do with one or two exceptions. I tune the new strings up when I have them all installed rather than one at a time. For a 3/3 headstock I will install from the outside in, ie. low E then high e, A then B, and finally D then G. Its not really essential, just easier to get at the next post.

Before wrapping I pull the string thru the post hole and hold it about 3 inches above the body of the guitar with my other hand. Then I pull it straight up at the headstock end and kink the wire at the post hole. Then I grab my trusty peg winder and wrap the string around the pole so it works downward.

I don't see any reason to change what you are doing. I've been doing it for over 30 years and its worked fine for me and I don't think I would be able to adopt another method. (old dog new tricks etc.) B) For those guitars that bugger up when all the strings are pulled off and those ultrasensitive ones that require a specific height after the nut for tremolo to operate properly (do they exist?) they immediately go on the seller's block around here.

Edited by Southpa

I have also owned several guitars and i have always slowly taken all the strings off when I change them. The guitars that I change 1 string at a time are ones with an original style floyd rose. You have to change those one at a time otherwise its a bitch and you have to yank on the trem with your fingers and it kinda hurts a bit.... hahaha

I change them one string at a time...why? No reason, just do it that way...I can get the new strings reasonably close to tune right away that way. And I clean each part of the neck as it gets exposed. When I feel like cleaning. Which is pretty rare... :D

Interesting tip about clipping the strings --sure if you're really worried you're going to scratch something do that (and yeah I've had my fingers stabbed).

But since I put locking tuners on my guitars, that's not a big issue--I usually clip the strings right after I've strung them.

And that's the only change in your method I'd recommend-- locking tuners. Makes a huge difference, I feel.

The first time I restrung a guitar, I took all the strings off - the wraparound bridge fell onto the top and left a bad mark on the finish. :DB):D

if youre really lazy (like me) you can just snip the string in half (dont watch!) and pull each half off easy as. this may sound crazy/unsafe but its exactly like snapping a string really

you are not too lazy to create memberships like there is no tomorrow.keep it up and for you there may not be,borge.