48 Hour Guitar Attempt

Hi,

I was bored and had some wood, so I thought I'd make another guitar. But the catch was, I only had 2 days access to the powertools I needed(drill press, bandsaw, table saw, jointer) then it was back to the tried and true handtools. But considering my recent err, *accident* with a spokeshave which resulted in lots of blood, I though I could try to build a guitar in the 2 days.

Sorry at this stage, no photos(I was working too hard):

I did about 8 hours solid at my dads work bandsawing and stuff(no planning whatsoever), which resulted in a half finished prs singlecut/gibson blueshawk.

Body: fijian kauri

Top: fijian kauri

Neck: more kauri

fretboard: mmmmmmm kauri

wait a minute, its all kauri!

'cept the bridge which will be rimu probably.

I'm making everything but potentiometers and the jack and switch, oh and the tuners.

Considering the fact that the first day was put to gluing, Ive done quite well, I still need to carve the bridge, top, and make the pickup cavities. But thats only another couple of hours work(hopefully finishs them today)

I was going to finish it with some stuff called federation furniture restorer, which is an excellent oil and is repaired by scrubing the surface with nylon wool(like steel wool) and more polish. But I kinda didn't plan the heel, and had a little mishap, and it doesn't sit well against the curved body, so I'm gonna give it a black back and sides with a goldtop probably(unless I can recover it and it still looks ok).

Im also gonna wind my own soapbars.

All up this guitar is costing me about $10 + tuners

At my current rate I'll be done be saturday(pics then probably)

And if anybody knows why hot glue isn't a good replacement for silicone in a truss rod channel, I could do with knowing asap(I didn't have any silicone with me), I cant see why it wont work though.

Hot glue is glue-gun, right? I don't think I'd use it, as it's not as 'rubbery' as silicone, and I'm not sure if it would stick to metal as well as silicone.

Silicone is to prevent the truss rod from rattling, if anyone is wondering.

If it's tight enough you shouldn't NEED to pack the rod anyway

Actually, I dont think I used any on the last bass I made, and it was fine.

thanks for stuff about glue, I had to use it as it was the only thing close to silicone my dad had lying around. I've got some silicone in my workshop, so I will rip the rod out later on and redo it.

btw, I just finished the pickup cavities and bridge, so as long as the wire for the pickups comes tomorrow I'll be done thursday(bar the finish)

I scored some 44SWG(about 40AWG I think) from a customer of my dad's that winds transformers cos he had some left over from a custom job, if only I could afford to have him scatterwind them for me!

I've nearly finished the carve and was about to glue the top on when I discovered that the neck was off centre by about 1 or 2 degrees. So I began to remove the neck to tidy up the tenon when I heard a splitting noise, thankfully it was just some fibres ripping out of the tenon(the glue was only a day old, so not fully dry). The gap on one side of the tenon left a small gap, which I filled with some splines.

A courier came earlier, wasn't my coil wire or fretwire unfortunately so I'm set back another day at least, I think 48 hours just became 7 days, but hey, 7 days is damn quick as I understand.

Haven't done much for a few days, I've been waiting on my coil wire, finally got it on saturday and have been winding different bobbins and designs since. So I'm now gonna have to say it will be next this saturday I finish.

Ah well it was worth the try, I already have my neighbour's(dont know jack bout guitars) approval of the rough guitar, so it cant be as bad as I think it is, and after all he judges by looks.

I'm probably gonna end up either using a super dark stain to cover the filled gap at the heel, or I'll just paint it black with a gold top.

And I Forgot to get my dads camera so no pictures till I see him in a few days.

I also began designing a 7 string bass to make when this one is finished, but it may become a 5 or 6 string cos I'm really really short of cash till I get a job(hopefully I can work with my brother at the local painter trade shop, mmmmm free mistints and really cheap sprayguns), and I wont be able to do much once I start my apprenticeship, so I'll put that off till next year probably.

...I've been waiting on my coil wire, finally got it on saturday and have been winding different bobbins and designs since...

I for one want to know more about your pickup bobbins and designs....windings become a really popular topic lately in the Electronics section....head over there and post some pics....please!!!

pete

he mr alex, sounds like a champion effort 48 hours.... wow, 

got any pics?, im dieing to see this beast, cos i absolutely love kauri, and prs, so sink or swim its gotta be good B) goin good man

luke

:D  :D

err 48 hour finished last week, I got probably 60% in one day though, so it was more an 8 hour build time. and its fijian kauri not nz kauri, so it looks like some golden coloured maple, I've got a big board thats got like brown and orange stripes, but I'm saving it for my bass.

hopefully I'll get it layable by tonight(no finish, still gotta decide cos I cant really oil with the filled gap at the heel, but I may take the heel off and laminate a bit on, then I could oil it and it would be way better.