Lee Valley

GregP

You go into Lee Valley tools, and they have about a million wonderful things that a guy can buy. Many of them applicable to guitar-craft. However, today I only got very little satisfaction:

Do you guys carry Robo-Sander, or something similar?

-Sorry, we don't carry electric tools.

It's just a specialty sanding drum for your drill press

-Never heard of it, but I'll look it up... nope, nothing.

Do you carry Saf-T planers?

-Never heard of it

(describes it)

-Nope, nothing like that.

How about flap discs?

-Whazzits?

Flap discs. They're angle grinder attachments. Overlapping flaps of sanding surface.

-Not these?

Nope. Not a regular flap sander; a flap disc. Nope, not a star sander either.

-(looks it up)... Nope, don't have those, either.

(sighs) Fine, I'll just take this router bit and one of those table-saw jigs you guys sell, for cutting wood at an angle.

-(looks it up) Any idea what it's called?

Yeah, it's a 'something' jig and it's for table saws. I don't remember the exact name.

-(starts searching with no luck)

I KNOW you guys have these, they were in the last catalog.

-(looks, looks, and looks some more)... I haven't found it yet, but I think I know what you're talking about. (looks more and more) Aha! It's called a taper jig.

Yes, that's the one. I'll take one of those and the router bit.

Bah.

I previous time, I had gone looking for a combination of bit and bearing that would accomplish the job of routing a binding channel. No luck there, either.

This is why I don't always have the easiest tools for the job. :D

Greg

Greg:

A 1/2" flush trim lamiate bit (you can get these *everywhere*) with the 3/8" bearing from any standard roundover, ovolo, bevel or other cutteris what you need to make a 1.5mm binding cutter. If you have a router, odds are it came with a cheapo laminate flush cut bit.

You can get the 3/8" bearing from Lee Valley, product number 16J95.03

Yeah, we have Wal-Mart, but I strongly suspect that our Wal-Mart is a bit different from your Wal-Mart. Ours is more like a standard Zeller's/Woolworth's/K-Mart kind of thing. A bit bigger, but not really any greater of a selection.

I'll have a peek, though-- you just never know!

My router (SpinSaw outfit, actually!) didn't come with a flush bit, but I own one from buying seperately. The binding is only 0.06" thick (whatever that works out to be in mm). Someone had already told me about putting a new bearing on, but I can't remember what the problem was at the time-- either the channel was going to be too wide, or at the time I simply couldn't find the bearing.

I have the cheapo StewMac solution now, though. Ah well. :D

Greg

.06 inches = 1.52 millimetres.

I wouldn't worry about having to deal with the extra .02 of a millimetre, you won't strain yourself removing it with a scraper :D :D

Course, it's a bit late now, but given the price of the bearing, I'd consider getting one just for roughing the channel, so you don't blunk the stew Mac bit soo quickly.

You go into Lee Valley tools, and they have about a million wonderful things that a guy can buy.  Many of them applicable to guitar-craft.  However, today I only got very little satisfaction:

Do you guys carry Robo-Sander, or something similar?

-Sorry, we don't carry electric tools.

It's just a specialty sanding drum for your drill press

-Never heard of it, but I'll look it up... nope, nothing.

Do you carry Saf-T planers?

-Never heard of it

(describes it)

-Nope, nothing like that.

How about flap discs?

-Whazzits?

Flap discs.  They're angle grinder attachments.  Overlapping flaps of sanding surface.

-Not these?

Nope.  Not a regular flap sander; a flap disc.  Nope, not a star sander either.

-(looks it up)... Nope, don't have those, either.

(sighs) Fine, I'll just take this router bit and one of those table-saw jigs you guys sell, for cutting wood at an angle.

-(looks it up)  Any idea what it's called?

Yeah, it's a 'something' jig and it's for table saws.  I don't remember the exact name.

-(starts searching with no luck)

I KNOW you guys have these, they were in the last catalog.

-(looks, looks, and looks some more)... I haven't found it yet, but I think I know what you're talking about.  (looks more and more) Aha!  It's called a taper jig.

Yes, that's the one.  I'll take one of those and the router bit.

Bah.

I previous time, I had gone looking for a combination of bit and bearing that would accomplish the job of routing a binding channel.  No luck there, either.

This is why I don't always have the easiest tools for the job.  :D

Greg

You should have had a look through a their catalogue before going in. :D

I was in the area, so it was mostly on a whim. It's right across the street from the Chapters where I was picking up an out-of-town friend for a visit. :D I dragged him in with me.

You walk in there, though, and it's like "Whhhhooooo-haaaaahhhh!" I think this location must be the flagship location for all of Canada or something. It's not only stocked to the boobies with great goods, but it's an amazing layout. It gives you the sensation, "If I can't find it here, I can't find it anywhere." Yeah right. B)

Setch: I definitely wouldn't sweat the 0.02mm. :D I'll look into getting that bearing anyhow. It's not like the StewMac bit's going to last forever! Cheers for the catalogue number.

Greg