Advice On Dull Inlay

Hello,

I need some advice, Here I am posting a picture of one of my shark fin (mother of pearl) inlays that is dull and turning black in some spots. This is an inlay from a 2002 Jackson USA Dave Mustaine Y2KV that I bought from guitar center for $800.00 used I think. It seems that it was thrown in a corner in their stockroom and mistreated for who knows how long, because the strings were rusted, the hardware was dull, the the finish looked like it wasn't polished in years. I have cleaned it all up to perfection except for this inlay issue. Anyone have any ideas on how I can restore this? I want to refrain from replacing the inlay if possible because this was normally a $2000.00 guitar and don't want to screw it up with my lack of experience in inlay work. Any suggestions?

Thanks

inlay.jpg

It needs to be replaced. They are plastic, and thin. Parts almost sanded though, that's why the dark areas are showing.

It needs to be replaced with plastic to keep the same effect going.

C.Lavin

Guest AlexVDL

Those are definatley not plastic.. but they are very thin in some spots. I've seen these kind of see thru inlays in expensive gibson les paul custom too. There could be two reasons, or the inlays is too thin in that spot or the pearl has some weird "grain". I bet if you look from another angle it will look ok?? I've seen it many times.

All higher end USA jackson always use MOP inlays, no plastic, so I would not go and put in a plastic inlay! From this pic the MOP doesn't show shiny and real, but trust me that guitar has real MOP inlays :D

but trust me that guitar has real MOP inlays

if it is,in fact ,a usa jackson.i rather think it is probably an import.never heard of anyone throwing a usa jackson in a corner and letting it rust.then again i don't even know if it was available in import

edit

http://www.jacksoncharvelworld.net/namm2000.html

i found a pic(bottom of page)is this it?i have never seen that before and i can't find much info on it

Alex, of course there is no way of knowing if it's plastic or not from a picture.

I assumed it was because the color is so pale. Of course any photo editing could produce the same effect. The only real way to know is to either see it in person, or to give it the scratch test, if you really can't tell.

One more way- turn it in different directons, if it changes color shadiong from light to dark it's pearl, if not most likely plastic.

Either way it has to come out.

C.Lavin

Guest AlexVDL
if it is,in fact ,a usa jackson.i rather think it is probably an import.never heard of anyone throwing a usa jackson in a corner and letting it rust.then again i don't even know if it was available in import

edit

http://www.jacksoncharvelworld.net/namm2000.html

i found a pic(bottom of page)is this it?i have never seen that before and i can't find much info on it

I played one in real life at a guitar store... but if it is a real Y2K model then it is a real USA built Jackson custom shop guitar worth over 2 grand with real MOP inlays.

Why they let it rust in a corner is a mystery to me :D

Maybe it is the lower end import model?? You have a pic After Forever?

Clavin you're absolutely right :D