Jackson And Original Floyd Rose

I guys I am planning to build a guitar with an OFR. I already asked here what you think about Lo Pro and OFR. I made my guitar with Lo Pro and now I would make a guitar with an OFR.

The question is this: I seen OFR and nuts have a 10" radius (and I really don't like a fretboard so). I like near flat radius as 16" and 17".

I seen Jackson guitars have a 12 - 16" compound radius fretboard and I would go for a guitar so.

First I think they don't use the R4 nut from Floyd cuz it's 10". I suppose they use a 12" nut. But do they use shims under saddles to achieve a 16" radius?

This is the only way I can imagine. Do you know how I could mount an OFR on a 12 - 16" compound radius fretboard?

Thanks everyone.

Gian

to achieve a different radius on the floyd you have to shim it, I have never done this, but there are a few others that have done it.  And I think that Jacksons are a straight radius, not compound, either 12 or 16.

Their website says they are a compound...but dont know how long they have been doing that for.

Maiden: Go here... http://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/gear.ph...tno=SL1_Soloist and then click on the little '[View]' link to popup the specs window. The compound radius is under the 'Unique Features' section.

I'm not sure exactly when Jackson started this either, but I know its been at least a few years, because I remember reading the specs on a SL1 a couple of years back and it had a compound radius then too :D

- Dan

Thanks Jivin, I looked at almost every single one, but stopped at were it says neck, didn't went all the way down. Looks like the 12-16 is for the Jackson USA Select only, the others are 12-14. Nice to know, because I had no idea, since my Jackson neck is 16 straight.

But finally is it a good thing to shim a floyd? People told me I can't achieve a perfect radius with shims.

However you said your jackson is straight 16" and the floyd? If yours it's original it's shimmed too!!!

Can you tell how to do it?