Blue...oh So Bluuuuuue...

you guys are the reason there will always be hobbiests, me, and you guys, craftsman.

How so? We can't force you to remain a hobbyist. There is nothing that I am doing that will either hold you back or stop you from excelling. It all comes down to how much you put into it and how much you really want it. It's all up to you.

I think that was meant as a compliment. The fact that you are so dedicated to your craft that you would destroy something that you found to be subpar (but many would find to be great) rather than have it get out into the world. This dedication is a sign of your being a true craftsman.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could not have said it better myself.

I am working to get better with my skills. just takes some time.

Its like a cook who won't serve food that does not meet his expectations

I am sure that there are 100's of posters on this board the cry when the see something that good when they cant get something half as nice...

How so? We can't force you to remain a hobbyist. There is nothing that I am doing that will either hold you back or stop you from excelling. It all comes down to how much you put into it and how much you really want it. It's all up to you.

Boy I couldn't have said that any better at all. Every word is true to the bone.

And I never did, and still don't, consider myself a real craftsman, or really have any -talent- to speak of, at this.

All I did to get where I am is practice, practice, practice. And read. I buy books and read them ( :D ) about finishing and other things...

And in the end, I do this for fun and that's it. I enjoy it. That's the primary motivator that moves me to build a guitar, because it's fun and it's a challenge to myself. There are no strings attached ( :D ), no deadlines to meet, no expectations to live up to, total and complete freedom to build whatever comes into my pointy head.

I LOVE that! B):DB)

have you ever read The Foutainhead? It not about guitars, but what youu've said in this thread sound,oike they came right from the mouth of the main character.

Sorry BigD, I missed your point. I didn't mean to disregard your compliment. I also didn't want you to feel like you are anything except what you see yourself as being. Common life mistake.

Drak, don't rub in your artisitc freedom too much! I am moving in a similar direction with my own work right now. Life's too short for anything else isn't it?

So what did you wind up doing with it?

Nothing yet. It is still awaiting sentencing. Any ideas?

Well for starters, send it over. (like you haven't heard that already) I would hollow out the back up to about 1/2" top with a center block thick enough to accomodate the trem. It's too late to go back on that one, or else I'd make a custom wooden TOM base that was wide enough to cover the trem route. Either way, even with the trem I'd leave the center disconnected from the back. Then I'd re-back it with 1/4" of limba (or similarly figured maple to give it some "pop")

If you "floated" that top and re-backed it, you'd have a piece that at least produced some type of strong tone, regardless of the resonant peaks and swell. Then you could work with that electronically. I'd love that guitar, even if it was stripped down to a carcass. That might be a fun experiment, to send it back to you and see if I could get it to the point of pleasing you. :D

I only WISH I was making pennies. THey pay me in apples. I'm not having any luck reselling them for pennies. My dreams of a barony are on hold, it seems.

Yes, but not all people are in it for the same reasons. Some people just want a sweet-looking guitar with a paint/finish job done by someone else who did a great job at it. One of your main kicks seems to be the finishing side of things. For other people, that may be a necessary evil best avoided.

I may end up choosing to never fret and level my own fretboards because that holds no creative satisfaction for me. For other people, the attention to detail and the importance of that job (a good fret job can make or break a guitar!) may give them the creative rush.

I'll let them do my fretboards for me. And I'll even pay them for the privilege. :D

Regardless, you've made a conscious choice, and I personally have no beef with it. Destroy, I say. I get a kick out of your WOD stories. :D But I also see where D is coming from. Even absolute honesty will still get you some sales if you put it up on ebay:

"I didn't like the way the wood sounded, and I loathed the way the purple mixed with the blue. I hate this top, and you should, too. But if you don't, feel free to bid on it." :D I bet some people would still buy that blue one, and that's their problem if you were honest with them. <grin> Since you don't have a 'rep' that you're trying to protect, the only thing you would have lost out on is the joy of destruction.

Mind you, you seem to particularly relish that joy, so it might be worth more than the $80 worth of wood. B)

Greg

Dude, it's not like anyone was disrespecting you. Au contraire, I said many times that I support the way you do things. It's an individual choice, which is wonderful and I'd never argue with.

It's just a conversation... hope it wasn't anything I said. :D

Greg

I really just started it to see if the new Hoster was working and figure out how to post pics, and that turned out to be a piece of crap, and the rest of the thread was just general crosstalk banter, so I just decided to lose the hoster and lose the thread.

Can you dig it baby? :D