Ibanez Iceman

welcome aboard Jester...so what are you planning for this Iceman then...something Gothic?

Thanks !

I was thinking about that lower horn the other day...

Maybe I should mod it a little bit to look something like this:

musicsaga_violinneck02.jpg

The email's been sent.

I didn't get it yet... Are you sure you sent it to the right address ?

Yeah...I like the headstock too...got to do that too Jester!

Yeah, I might leave it as it is. It looks pretty neat. :D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 bucks !!!!! :D *sigh*

I pasted the email address that was given in your email, and it seemed to go out ok with no errors.  Maybe it's lost somewhere in cyberspace.  I'll resend it this evening when I get back to my home computer.

Okay then. Thanks again !

About the guitar...

I was thinking about building a neck through.

So does anybody got any good pics of neckthrough iceman ?

That $50 will be the best $50 you ever spent. That's for the actual cut-out templates, not just a paper print out. Ready to be used with your flush-trim router bit. You'd probably spend around $50 just for MDF to make your own templates (you're not going to just work directly on your final wood most of the time, and if you WERE planning to, then may the powers that be grant you serenity and luck).

Mind you, since those templates are fairly thin, many people have said that they've transferred them to MDF, acrylic, or plywood anyhow, so you're still out some extra material cost if you choose to do that.

When I do my pop's LP, I'll be ordering a set of those.

Greg

That $50 will be the best $50 you ever spent.  :D  That's for the actual cut-out templates, not just a paper print out.  Ready to be used with your flush-trim router bit.  B)

Greg

Oh... Maybe I should reconsider. :D

Edit: And I'm making it a neckthrough... so...

Edited by Jester

Mind you, since those templates are fairly thin, many people have said that they've transferred them to MDF, acrylic, or plywood anyhow, so you're still out some extra material cost if you choose to do that.

Not to brag about it or anything, but if I would decide to make, lets say, a 100 pickup templates, it wouldn't cost me cent. :D

I did some research, and found where I got my Iceman drawing. I got it on the mimf forum.

http://www.mimf.com/cgi-bin/WebX

Go there and join up, then go to the archives section. It's under "Instrument Templates".

I'll resend my file when I get home this evening, but if we keep having email problems, you can go the above site and get it there.

Those templates would be great to have, even if building a neck-thru. You could use them to get the headstock shape, neck size, body size, etc. Just use the appropriate part of the template to create the body wings, etc. You just have to plan a little more and "think outside the box" a little. Jeez, I hate that expression!! :D

But if you can make templates for free, and money is an issue, I completely understand. For me, the issue is always time; I never have enough of it, so I'm always looking for fast ways of doing things, and it goes quick and accurate with a good template and a router. :D

Nice...definitley neck through...maybe 24 fret. The original's were set neck as I recall, the bolt on was later in the cheaper models.

No you can't scroll the lower horn...you might think you want to...but you can't...the answer is no, no , NO!!! This is not some kind of mandolin your making is it? No to scrolls...at least on an Iceman...sorry...no! :D

On the neck through, you'll want to make sure that you've got enough length in the body part...it's quite a long guitar! StewMac's got one that has enough length to do the angled back headstock I believe and Carvin could do a custom job if they don't already have one suitable I think...unless you're planning on fretting yourself that is.

Post if you are still having trouble getting the file...I'll try and send a zipped copy when I find the file :D

I'm not sure about the template...you can make your own one customised to your scale length, hardware, number of frets, pickups etc. Are you thinking Trem or TOM...if you like the kind of violin touch...the original ones had a chrome violin styled tailpiece...check out the Iceman website I posted for for ideas...there were quite a few variations.

Personally...I'd have a 24 fret ebony board neck through, natural korina or flamed top (blue...like draks oh so bluuuue telecaster, or the blue explorer) with the three knob layout and a trem...what are you thinking of?

mmmm...nice

psw

Hey, it may be a BIT distressing that files aren't going through properly.

But there's no need for resentment!

It's more than a BIT distressing, more like about 63K BITS distressing, when that file doesn't go through.

I think you're right, no need for any more resent-ment. After all, it's on the mimf. :D

psw, I was thinking the originals were set neck also. That korina iceman looks great. Makes me want one!!

Oh Man...the best player in school had one just like that...thinking back it would probably have gone better with replaced pickups but this was 1977!!!

It was such a great guitar to play. Notice how the knobs are gibson like but spread and stretched so that the volume control is just where you'd want it for volume swells...of course for the full glorious seventies effect you needed the 1970's era curly lead and right angled plug with that surface mounted jack...but hey!

Notice that the neck is really well supported on top like a LP but without the bulk and plenty of cutaway...you'd loose that with an upper horn, not only comprimise the design. It's a shame about the KISS conection really as they made all kinds of "tasteful" models. None had trems though till the later White Zombie models as was the go at the time but I dare say a bigsby or Maestro Firebird style wouldn't look out of place...

This design was really well thought out...I'd play it in any kind of setting (bar country perhaps)...It'd make a cool blues guitar for instance.

Heck...I would play it in a country band....

I wish I had one too!!!

psw

I had a black iceman back in '78 or '79. It had a GREAT tone, especially for rythmn chunky stuff. I didn't like the way it played though, and traded it away on a strat. I was just a kid and had no idea how to set up a guitar, so it probably could have been adjusted to play better. Sure wish I had it back!!

I had several of those curly chords with the L-plug, too. Black ones, blue ones, and red ones. Brings back old memories. :D

To me, the body shape has that explorer thing going on, with a few curves, hooks, and changes to jazz it up a bit. I've always liked them.

No you can't scroll the lower horn...you might think you want to...but you can't...the answer is no, no , NO!!! This is not some kind of mandolin your making is it? No to scrolls...at least on an Iceman...sorry...no! 

No no no ! I'm not gonna make a scroll to the lower horn ! :D

I was just pointing out some ideas to adjust the shape a little bit.

But since the shape is already so tasty... ( :D ) I might leave it as it is.

I'm gonna start the building process in two months or so, since I don't have any equipment at home.

check this out:

Parker / Iceman

Dont get any ideas, Jester

Don't worry about that. I think it's horrible...

I wouldn't probably make one of those even if I would get payed. :D

Personally...I'd have a 24 fret ebony board neck through, natural korina or flamed top (blue...like draks oh so bluuuue telecaster, or the blue explorer) with the three knob layout and a trem...what are you thinking of?

I haven't decided the color yet, but I was thinking about flamed maple top... Haven't decided the main body wood yet either. And no tremolo. I don't like them at all... And besides, I love the look of a tune-o-matic. 24 frets... Maybe. 22 would be enough too.

I just resent the email with the iceman file. Hopefully you'll get it this time.

Didn't get it... Well... I'm off to MIMF. B) Unless Greg want's to send it... ?

:D I've never seen one with a flame maple top but it would look spectacular :D

I only mentioned 24 frets cause Stew Mac's Thru neck has 24 and would suit...but 22 is enough, places the neck pickup better and would probably look a bit better.

Even though it's got a a few curves in the outline the body is flat like a tele or explorer and will be a great first project and should turn out great...if I had some money I'd be jumping in and doing the same....tasty choice...

keep us posted with the project when you get around to doing it

psw

I don't know what's up with the email.  Maybe some spamblocker thing ate it or something...  :D

Yeah... Weird... Well, it doesnt matter anymore. B)

And by the way, I'm gonna defy the laws of nature and make my own neck. :D (except the fingerboard)

keep us posted with the project when you get around to doing it

Of course.

:D Take your time and you'll end up with one killer loking and playing axe...far better than the originals which...to be honest...were a little "soft" on quality timber...but the design will look great and I'm really looking forward to seeing it all come together... :D