Inlay For You Do It Yourselfers

cSuttle

Hi,

I haven't been a forum member too long, so I hope this isn't over stepping my boundary here. If it is, mods please feel free to delete this.

That being said, if anyone needs inlays cut to install yourself, or fretboard/headstock/body/truss rod covers inlay done for the project they are working on, check out my web-site. I think you'll like.

Shark Inlay

My work is done to cam machine precision with shell tollerances to 0.0001" and route hole tollerances to .005"

Even if your not looking for this, just drop into the site for the eye candy. :D

Excellent work dude! Do you do more "common" stuff like a simple set of sharkfin inlays as well? Or a Ibanez Jem vine? Where can I see prices?

Yeah, I can make those. I've done v-block before, traps, all sorts of things. Dream it up and I can make it happen. How about shark fins with shark hole inside them????

These are incredible!

Would you be able to do something like taking a low end Gibson neck with the cheapy gold logo and make it into a pearl logo, then add the center(headstock) inlay, and neck inlays?

I inlay headstocks all the time. However most of them are unfinished. The inlay process destroys the finish around the inlay, so the finish has to be repair or replaced. This raises the cost of the job quite a bit. On a lower cost Gibson, probably not worth it. Now if you were already refinishing the guitar yourself, that would be a perfit time to do that and it would cost too much.

Edited by cSuttle

Is this my buddy Cliff Suttle?

All the pieces seem to match up (no inlay pun intended).

Yep, it's me. :D

I had a client that purchased one of my Dragon Mountain limited edition tcovers who suggest I pop in here. The Dragon Mountain covers are made for PRS guitars, but he had put it on a Warmoth neck and it worked great. He thought there would be many people here who would like my stuff.

I thought if I would help others do their inlay either with product or advice, this would be a cool place to hand out. Haven't been stopping in here too much yet, but it become my frequent all the time.

Oh, if your curious, I have a Dragon Mountain tcover on eBay right now. Here's a pic.

dragonmountain08.jpg

Edited by cSuttle

I know this line of questions is OT so if you would rather PM me that's fine. I just wondered if the dxf files you get from corel draw are mostly made of splines and if so do you notice any "faceting" in your tool paths? Or, are the facets too small to be of bother?

I know this line of questions is OT so if you would rather PM me that's fine.  I just wondered if the dxf files you get from corel draw are mostly made of splines and if so do you notice any "faceting" in your tool paths?  Or, are the facets too small to be of bother?

I usually extrapolate my curves into line segment anyway. It seems to create better tool paths. I use .002 and if you look at the tcover above you see I don't have any problems with facets.