Help With The Gt-6 (or Similar)

Jivin

Hi,

I have had a Boss GT-6 for some time now, and I quite like it, however soon I will be making the move to an all-tube amp and I plan on using the amplifiers distortion instead of the distortion in the GT-6.

I would like to run into the amp through the GT-6, but basically just use the GT-6 for the effects and perhaps use the overdrive sometimes, but not the cabinet modelling and that sort of thing. My problem basically is that I cannot seem to get a true bypass patch happening so no matter what I do the GT-6 is always colouring the sound somehow, even if everything is 'off'. This sorta sucks because once ive dialed in a nice distortion on the amp I would just like to be able to use the GT-6 too add things to my sound when I want.

Eg: i would like to have a bank of 4 patches where #1 is just bypass, #2 adds some reverb, #3 adds wah ect ect. I liked this idea a lot for the GT6, because for each one I could also customise the EQ a bit too, however as I mentioned I just cant seem to get the bypass happening.

Is this sort of thing even possible? or is it just not something that these units are designed to do?

Thanks in advance,

- Dan

Thanks for the link mate, that 4 cable method may be worth a try :D

- Dan

Edit: Upon further forum reading it appears the best way for me would be to either get an amp with footswitchable effects loop or get something this: http://www.loooper.com/1Looopers.htm

Interesting. Maybe I should learn how to tapdance :D

When you get your new amp, I hope it comes with a channel/effect pedal. If so, you can cut out two of the cables by putting an "effects loop" in the control pedal itself. Then you plug your axe into the pedal and put your favored effects in a 100% bypassable loop with a stomp switch you add to the pedal. Makes for a clean setup and is 100% bypassed. My nephew does this for a couple music stores and he calls it "The JB Buzz Killer". The Marshall pedals and the Genz pedals have plenty of room for it. The newer FFFenders or a bit more of a challenge. You gotta add three jacks and a switch.

Well, im looking at picking up one of these: http://www.marshallamps.com/images/products/tsl/tsl122.html, or perhaps the 60w version without the 3rd EQ. Both of these have footswitchable effects loops, so I think that might be good enough for what im after. Its a pity I cant have it located all in 1 unit for simplicty (not just physically, but like, have a bypass patch, and when i turn off the bypass im actually going to another patch sort of thing), but the only time I would really get into trouble with that is if I was using some overdrive from the GT-6 onto the gain channels of the marshall and I wanted to quickly change to a clean sound :D

But it is a small price to pay really, aside from getting into a whole MIDI setup which I dont even understand haha

- Dan