Can I Change Pickups

butmunch

I have jay turser strat copy with 3 single coil pickups and irecently got amuch nicer schecter guitar so i was going to repaint and sculpt my body of my jay turser

since i have guitar to play while it was being worked on so iwas wondering if i could

put a humbucker in the bridge position also how much work is it .

You can technically put a pickup wherever as long as it lines up with the strings,the tone will be different although not neccesarily "bad". You can't use an active with non active pickups. You could replace all the wiring and just leave the other pickups in for show if you wanted. :D

You can't -easily- combine active with passive. To the point where I wouldn't even consider it for myself; though, others have done it.

Greg

GregP is telling it straight. Unless you got some component switch-out time under your belt, don't mix actives and passives and expect perfection. Look at the single-coil humbucker direct replacements that SD and others offer. I love them because there is no routing, pickguard-cutting or offensive smells involved. Makes my life a lot easier and I LOVE the results. More important, my customers love the results. As long as it is the bridge PU, it go just like Lovecraft said as far as wiring.

You can't -easily- combine active with passive.  To the point where I wouldn't even consider it for myself; though, others have done it.

Greg

True, I just figured if this guy had to ask if he could replace a pickup that trying to get actives and passives in one guitar might be a little much,not to offend anybody but I doubt its a beginners job.

Two words: Hot Rails

If you want some stellar punch out of the bridge position, check out either the Seymour Duncan Hot Rails or JB Jr. pickups. No routing required and all the punch of a good humbucker. The TONE will be different than a regular humbucker just because of sheer physics, but you'd be hard pressed to find an easier way to upgrade your JT unless it's routed for a full-size 'bucker under the pickguard.

Edited by crafty

Testify! I had Hot Rails in a guitar for a dog's age until the whole guitar got stolen (side note to the finishing folks: you should have seen the horrible faux marble finish I put on it, from a Craft Store kit...). Hot rails are great.

On the replacement guitar (stupid Insurance company wouldn't pay for the Graph-Tech saddles, though! :D ) I put an SD Li'l 59, which is a single-coil sized PAF pickup. It's pretty good, but had I known more about pickups back then I would have gone for the JB instead.

Greg