How Do You Record You Bands Songs?

Hughes

ok ive been pondering to myself how someone would go about recording their bands songs, for some reason it baffles me :D also since im here, if there were just one guy with a guitar, bass, drums, and vocals how would you mix all them to sound like it was a hole band playing it? like the guy would play the part on the guitar, then the bass etc then how would you make it all one? hah sorry if these are stupid questions but it was bugging me so thanks!

the way i do it is i record to a computer.

for recording drums it helps to have a set of drum mics, but you can do it with just one mic. my band uses a set of shure mics on bass snare and toms with a couple off brand condensers overhead.

for guitar and bass, we just mic the cabinets with a shure sm57 and sm58.

for vocals we use a cheap marshall vocal mic.

mixing it all together is actually the easy part once you know how to do it. when doing it to a computer, any multi track recording program will do the job. with my band i use pro tools, but at home i use cool edit pro. you can get cool edit from a variety of file sharing programs with a serial number and password.

after you record there should be an option on whatever program you're using to "mix down" or "bounce to file."

i don't have my setup yet but i have it all planned.

i'll be doing it through a computer. there are a lot of independent recording studios in toronto, some cheap (20-45 an hour), some expensive. The only problem is you have to work on their time table, and not your own, and that's why i want my own workstation.

Computer recording is getting so cheap nowadays. There's a lot to learn but it's not too hard.

PM sent.

What they said. There's a whole huge stickied (I think!) topic on computer-based recording around here somewhere. :D

It's "cheap" compared to a real studio, but be warned-- it can become just as expensive a hobby as guitar building, because the more you get into it, the more you may find yourself wanting better software and equipment. :D

Greg

If you got a couple hundred bucks to blow, get one of them Tascam or ZOOM cheapo 8-chanell recorders and spend the next month or two having an absolute RIOT playing with it. The sound quality is not good but it's not horrible. You will learn SO much about SonS, multitracking, syncing, etc. that, if you make it that far, you will be ready to spend some real bucks on a decent unit. They are about my favorite cheap toy.

To start out doing computer based editing is a very daunting task that several end up throwing in the towel on. You must first learn to chew, Grasshopper.

I would definitely spend my money on a computer interface and software instead of the gadget. There's just no comparison. AND, you can have a riot on the computer, too, if you're using software that's not a POS. The Zoom and Tascam type units are cool in that they have instant appeal, and the computer drawback is that you might hate the software.

BUT... you can always get new software for the PC. I recommend Tracktion, if you just want to think of it as a "tape machine"-- instant satisfaction.

Greg

To start out doing computer based editing is a very daunting task that several end up throwing in the towel on. You must first learn to chew, Grasshopper.

a good point. computer recording is a bit tricky when you don't know what you're doing. the good thing is, you can usually tell how easy a program is to use by how much it costs.

for example, i said that my band used to use cakewalk. it was a nice little program. cost us about $50 i think. very simple to use. arm the track and record. effects were easy, mixing everything down was easy, the program lived up to its name.

recently we put some money together and bought pro tools. i think it costs somewhere in the $800-$1000 range new, we got it used for like $400. little bit trickier to figure out.

generally reading the manual will teach you at least the basics so you can start getting your ideas recorded.

I would suggest buying recording software and an interface for a pc also. Or find a stand-alone digital machine who's file format will convert easily to something a pc can use. The pc just can't be beat for ease of editing and mixing, not to mention all of the plug-in effects and tools that are available.

Back in 96 or so, I bought a Roland VS880. I'm still using that machine, and overall, I really like it. The biggest drawback is its lack of compatibility with a pc. I really, really wish I could convert all of my "virtual" tracks to a pc easily, and use the pc for mixing and editing.

As for recording, where one person does all the tracks, I do that all the time as a scratchpad for new songs when I'm writing. Sometimes I just hit the record button and play a progression so I won't forget it. Then later go back and re-record, building from there. But usually, I'll have a song almost finished in my head before sitting down to record.

Usually, I start with the drum tracks. My favorite for drums right now is SonicFoundry's ACID. (It's great that a hobbyist like me can get Mick Fleetwood or Siggi Baldursson as a drummer! They both have drum loop cd's for ACID.) I record some drum loops that fit the song, and if I'm not going to sync up to some other sequence, I throw in some time variations and other little tricks to "humanize" the whole thing so it's not too "clock-ish".

Next I do some rythmn guitar(s), then bass, then finally lead guitar. Of course, the instrumentation depends on what the song calls for, but that's the general order of things that I usually follow. There are really no set rules for this, whatever floats your boat, but it is easier for me to keep everything synced up when the drums go down first.

Some agreeing and disagreeing to follow:

computer recording is a bit tricky when you don't know what you're doing.

I strongly disagree. If you get a program like Tracktion and read the quick start guide, I bet dollars to doughnuts that you'll be up and running within the hour. Or, if you're on a Mac-- Garageband. Even for someone who doesn't know what they're doing. If you're completely computer illiterate, you get a USB-based device, plug it in and play. If you have a passing knowledge or have friends who are into computers, then you could get a normal "card"-style interface, instead, if you find one you like.

the good thing is, you can usually tell how easy a program is to use by how much it costs.

for example, i said that my band used to use cakewalk.  it was a nice little program.  cost us about $50 i think.  very simple to use.  arm the track and record.  effects were easy, mixing everything down was easy, the program lived up to its name.

Sometimes true! :D While Tracktion 2 is now not exactly "budget" (though, with the included drum machine, instrument plug-ins and amp sim, it's still value for money) anymore, it WAS $80 for one of the easiest and most fully-featured programs out there. Then there's Logic, which is a fine program but doesn't exactly live up to its name, if you have a grand to spend (not including hardware). Cakewalk is actually the name of the company, so your software was probably Home Studio, Guitar Tracks, or Plasma Express. If you thought THOSE were easy, you should try Tracktion or Garageband. :D

recently we put some money together and bought pro tools.  i think it costs somewhere in the $800-$1000 range new, we got it used for like $400.  little bit trickier to figure out.

Yup, and not even as fully-featured as some less expensive programs. BUT, you have the industry leader in audio editing, and the capability to bring your projects into any studio in the world to have them mixed by a "pro" if you decide to take your demos up a notch and your own skills have reached their peak.

The thing about the hardware units that sucks-- the effects and drum tracks are inflexible at best. Computer-based recording is superior in every way imaginable except portability and--depending on what you already own--price. But when you compare price to features, even the 'cheap' porta-studio type things really fall short in value for money. And if you already own a computer, you just need to buy the interface--which normally includes some sort of software, even if it's not the perfect software for you right off the bat it gets you going.

As far as I know, Mackie have ditched their HDD-based portable studio solutions in favour of expanding their computer-based recording efforts. There's a good reason for it-- the market has gone to computer-based recording not because it's more fashionable but because it's infinitely more flexible and powerful.

Finally, with regards to flexibility and power and price (all at once)-- on the PC, there is a world of freeware effects that you can use in your tracks. I have literally too many different choruses, delays, distortions, reverbs, compressors, and EQs to keep track of, and have limited myself to just a few or my head will explode. At one point in time, I had the virtual equivalent of 300+ "pedals" and "rack-mount effects". Imagine your pedalboard having over 300 free units instantly added to it? Granted, they're not all great-- but then again, not all pedals we've bought have turned out to be great, either. B)

-----

Ooten-- I agree; the whole song comes together when you have drums. I wish I had some more flexible loops (it's the quickest way to get a track going), but in the meantime I've started learning to use MIDI and multisampled drum-kits to build up my tracks. Still a bit robotic but I'm getting there.

Greg

OK, no arguement with a single thing that has been said in this thread, but, the cheap, standalone little toys that I recommend are an EXCELLENT way to get the basics of mixing, multitracking, etc. down and they are an absolute HOOT to play with. Given, this person has a computer, else he would not be looking to this forum, but even the computer-literate (myself DEFINATELY excluded) will find the little cheap units to be a learning tool that will help them in so many "interface" issues and learning the basic terminology and such that I still reccomend one. I think the Tascom can double as a USB interface, also. That would be a good thing, Bull. OOPS, almost forgot! IMHO

a good point. computer recording is a bit tricky when you don't know what you're doing. the good thing is, you can usually tell how easy a program is to use by how much it costs.

for example, i said that my band used to use cakewalk. it was a nice little program. cost us about $50 i think. very simple to use. arm the track and record. effects were easy, mixing everything down was easy, the program lived up to its name.

recently we put some money together and bought pro tools. i think it costs somewhere in the $800-$1000 range new, we got it used for like $400. little bit trickier to figure out.

generally reading the manual will teach you at least the basics so you can start getting your ideas recorded.

Pro Tool's is awesome! My school has a whole recording studio with over like 15,000 worth of pro tools. They also have Roland V-Drums(those are sweet!) 3 computers, a keyboard, mixing board and more. Its nuts. 2 speakers alone cost 800 dollars :D

Anyways...

I have Sony ACIDpro 5 on my laptop. It's -very- tricky. They do have an extensive manual, and im still learning. I can't record and listen to what im recording at the same time :D It supports VST plugins like Guitar Pro, Amplitube, Wave lab, ect. It also comes with 100 effects too.

Edited by AlGeeEater

Nothing wrong with portability, and if you choose a standalone right, you can pipe tracks over to the PC for editing & mixdown. My Fostex VF16 is a nice little recorder, but has crappy FX and mixing features. No problem - lightpipe to the PC, and mix there.

Pro Tools IS an industry standard. But like some other standards, that doesn't necessarily mean it's "best". There are LOTS of good solutions, and the best one depends on what you want to do, and your workflow. Cakewalk's SONAR, and NUENDO are popular, as is Adobe Audition. I use Audition for editing; the interface rocks. I use Sony Vegas for multi, so I could avoid having to learn another program for multiple cam video editing.

Having said that, if you DO want it portable to take between different studios (beyond the tracks, that is; 24 bit wavs are very portable), that's a good argument for Pro Tools.