Contoured Neck Plate

As an alternative (probably totally irrelevant but wth :D ) you can try using ferrules instead of a plate.

If you go that route just be careful not to place them where the screws hit the truss rod or so deep that they go through the front of the fretboard.

As an alternative (probably totally irrelevant but wth :D ) you can try using ferrules instead of a plate.

If you go that route just be careful not to place them where the screws hit the truss rod or so deep that they go through the front of the fretboard.

I've never been sure about screw placement without a neck plate, its for strat you see.

Is there a good tutorial using ferrules? :D

Also the neck plate at www.allparts.com is a different contour, doesnt look quite as good as the fender ones, has anyone compared?

Cheers

Chris

B)

Edited by Chrisstrong_86

I've decided to go ahead and use ferrules and no neck plate on my neck join,

can anyone tell me if its worth drilling the guitar first then contouring the neck, or visa-versa?

Also are ferrules kinda standard or do you get good or bed ones?

i've heard of top ferrules and have no idea what they are, maybe for strings?

This is my first guitar so any handy tips would be well appreciated!

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Chrisstrong_86

If it's your first time, I would say make your body, sculpt the neck joint, and then trace the neck joint shape onto your neck's heel. That way you can carve up to about 1/8"-1/4" of that line. Your neck heel contour will best match the pocket line that way.

As for ferrules, anything Stew Mac/Warmoth/Allparts etc. are selling will be fine. They all have different dimensions, though. I like how Stew Mac's have a larger footprint than some of the others.