Fretless 4 - Concordis

Well, I've been lurking these forums for a while now, and I suppose it's about time I unveil my project here. A few of you have already seen it over at the Luthier's Corner on Talkbass.com.

I hope that posting a blog link is cool with you guys. I just didn't feel like making all of those pictures into separate posts on here.

Here it is.

The archive links are at the bottom, so you can see the previous posts that were moved onto the second page.

P.S. This is also my first instrument, and my first attempt at woodworking in general. So, be easy on me :D.

Edited by Cerb

That's a really cool body shape! I think it's my favorite new design I've come across in a while. It looks like you've been doing good work, the only thing I'd check is that in some of your pictures it looks like the faces of the wings that will glue to the neck blank aren't really flat - which'll give you big, big problems when you try to glue it all together, so you may need to get out a hand plane or a power jointer. Keep us posted - if you just put pictures up in your blog, at least let us know when you update it!

That's a really cool body shape! I think it's my favorite new design I've come across in a while. It looks like you've been doing good work, the only thing I'd check is that in some of your pictures it looks like the faces of the wings that will glue to the neck blank aren't really flat - which'll give you big, big problems when you try to glue it all together, so you may need to get out a hand plane or a power jointer. Keep us posted - if you just put pictures up in your blog, at least let us know when you update it!

I meant the flat bits that butt up directly against the neck blank - the part you're actually gluing to the neck blank. It looks like that vertical surface isn't flat where it will glue up, which'd give you a really thick glue line - which isn't very strong and isn't very pretty, and wouldn't fit at all with that great design :D.

Edited by jnewman

Man great wook :D I love All but one of your designs!!

EDIT: HA It look's Like I forgot To Add the link :D

http://tbbassprogress.blogspot.com/2005_05...ss_archive.html

But this one hear is The best one, not just because of the design But because of the WOODS B) man that's A good combo B)

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

jnewman - The wings actually have not been shaped at all yet, other than with the band saw. A jointer will be used to true up the edges to be glued on the neck.

erikbojerik - It wasn't really warped beyong repair, but it was warped side to side, rather than front to back. So, that would cause the laminates to arch across the face of the neck. I just didn't want anything less than perfect for my first instrument. I had a guy on Talkbass lined up to buy it, but he already had more necks than he could use at the moment. So, if anyone's interested...

Thanks, everyone else for your interest.

• 1 month later...